RIP- Jack Lesberg

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ctxbass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas

Jazz double bassist Jack Lesberg, who performed with the likes of Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman has died at the age of 85.

As well as playing with many of the great jazz greats, Lesberg also played in symphonic orchestras.

Lesberg played violin in clubs before switching to the double bass in the late 1930s.

He survived the Boston Coconut Grove club fire of 1942 in which 492 people died and many more were injured.

After moving to New York he played with guitarist Eddie Condon, saxophonist Coleman Hawkins and singers Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan.

In the 1950s he toured with the Armstrong All Stars.

He also performed with the New York City Symphony Orchestra, under Leonard Bernstein, and later with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

His daughter, Valerie Kaplan, said he died from complications from Alzheimer's disease.
    Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2005/10/06 14:03:09 GMT

© BBC MMV
  2. I got to know Jack during my early Aspen years. He tended to play alot with the traditional cats. He was a superlative bassist and could hold his own in most any genre.
    I wasn't aware of his stint with the NYC Symphony Orchestra though.

another one buys the farm....Gotta laugh at it to avoid crying.
    I haven't seen this many bassists go this fast in a lump ever.
  3. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I remember when I was about 25 I was getting on the F train with my bass guitar to go take some classes at SOJ. There was an older gentleman in a trench coat, also with a bass guitar, sitting across from me. He started talking to me, telling me about a jam session he was at the night before and that Eddie Gomez walked in and played great. He asked me where I was going and I told him, I asked him where he was going and he was off to do a session on slab. We talked the whole way and before I got off I asked him his name. It was Jack Lesberg. It's one of my fondest memories of living in NYC during my salad days and I couldn't believe that a guy with such a history took an interest in me and was so down to earth and nice. He'll be missed.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I had the pleasure of meeting Jack and doing a little work on his Palotta bass. This was about ten years ago. Jack was not so good with directions and I remember having to go out in my car to rescue him. A real gentleman, and a major talent. Rest in Peace.