1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP: Jackie McLean

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by STRONGBOW, Apr 2, 2006.

1. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    Bird's prodigy, age 74, died March 31 in New Haven CT......another great loss to the jazz world....

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ahh, crap.... one of the greats. I remember seeing him on one of those All-Star type shows, and he just lit the place up.

Let's all remember to play "Little Melonae" at least once this week.

3. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    RIP Great musician and teacher. He will be missed.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    "[W]hen you ask who is the real Jackie McLean, I have to say I'm a struggling saxophone player - a player who's struggling to play the instrument to the highest level that I think I was meant to play." -- Interview with The Hartford Courant, 2000

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I remember a pretty wonderful show at the Vanguard a number of years back with his son Rene in the front line. Seeing and hearing them together was joy-making.

A drummer I play with from time to time, Rudy Lawless, grew up with Jackie. He has a great story of how him and his buddies used to throw a stickball ball up near the window of Jackie's family's apartment to get him to stop practicing and come down and play ball with them.

Time passes and we lose so much...

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What a loss for the jazz world. But especially, what a loss for Hartford. Jackie did so much to promote jazz among young people. Hopefully his educational initiatives will live on for decades to come, but he will be sorely missed.

7. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Just heard about this today. Jackie was one of my all-time favorite players. My phonograph needle wore right through my Dig LP and came out the other side. Jackie's music was formative for me.
    Black, late 70's? I worked with him ages ago.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, that's Rudy. He's on that Burt Eckoff CD that I play on some of the cuts.

9. Zedlee

Zedlee

Jan 5, 2005
    R.I.P Jackie. In Ken Burn's series "Jazz" I thought the interviews with Jackie were some of the best in the whole series.

10. RIP Jackie.

11. appler

appler Guest

For those in the NJ area, WBGO 88.3 FM has been doing lots of Jackie McLean tribute hours where they'll play a whole bunch of tracks that he played on.

12. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I just learned about it today - I've been a fan of his playing ever since I heard him on the album "Cool Struttin" by Sonny Clark, a few years ago.

RIP

13. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    In the days of mini-cassette phone message systems, I used to "make" callers listen to that break on "I Hear a Rhapsody" or even a few from "Pithecanthropus..." with J.R.

Jackie per sempre.