1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Jaco Pastorius

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by line6man, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Today marks the 21st anniversary of Jaco Pastorius' death...

December 1, 1951 – September 21, 1987

Any Thoughts?

Ever since i took up playing fretless bass, Jaco has become my hero.I dont give a **** what anyone says, he was the very best bass player the world has ever seen, and probably always will be.

2. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm afraid this is going to turn into a favorite bassist thread.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

Great player. I can't stand to listen to him however. Saying he is the end all and be all is kinda narrow-minded. There is ALWAYS someone better, no matter what the subject is. :oops:

4. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Word. Jaco is the one thats always better.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Something tells me you missed the point about what Fenderhutz was saying.

6. +1. Either that or an argument between the fans and not-so-fanatics of Jaco. Awesome name by the way.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yay for using the proper forum when posting. :hyper: :eyebrow:

8. ok, i didnt know that there was a bassists forum. thanks for moving the topic to the correct forum.

anyways, i cant believe you guys...
    if you dont like Jaco, why are you reading this?

i guess that nobody can ever be the best, because there will always be somebody better out there, but come on... is there really anybody else out there that has topped him?

Jaco pretty much revolutionized the fretless bass in a time where it was virtually unheard of.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    He's my biggest influence--but I have lots of influences...

10. i just picked up his solo album from the library today. its even better than i remembered

11. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    He was a brilliant, revolutionary bassist and a creative composer. His life however turned out to be a tragic mess. The Milkowski book is an excellent read if not a bit disturbing. Certainly was a compelling story of an artist whose light burned bright but too quick. I remember where I was when I heard of his death.

12. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    RIP Jaco..... his influence is still alive and well, we'll forever remember him through his music though...

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Your original post of recognizing the anniversary of Jaco's tragic death is a good one. Your next post, above? Not so much. "Who has topped whom" is fruitless conversation. I like Jaco, but not going there. :eyebrow:

It is unfortunate that we have to remember this anniversary at all, instead of all that could have been with Jaco. RIP, Jaco.

14. I ordered that book last week and i am waiting for it to get here.

pinkzepphish, by "solo album" i assume that you mean his self titled album, correct?

yep, its a great CD. essential to any bassists collection IMO.
    i have been listening to it alot this week.

15. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Ever since I've joined here, I've found that a lot of people feel the need to state that Jaco is not the best. Is it the mere fact that Jaco was named the best that leads people to have to contradict? I don't understand. Why do people always feel the need to post "He's not/wasn't the greatest" . Why not just keep it to yourself? I don't understand...

In response to the OP, RIP to Jaco as well. Jaco was one of the greatest players.

16. Tip of the Headstock to a Giant - someone that made a huge contribution to Music and Bass playing - alas someone that left us too soon. Rock On Jaco - God Bless him and his family. :bassist:

17. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    I get some abuse from my friends for my love of jaco's music, i think the man was a genius and really did something that will never be repeated: he revolutionized the electric bass and took it to a whole new level, even years later, with jaco to learn from, people can't play like jaco.

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    21 years wow!!!

I first saw Jaco, in a club in FLa. 1975
    It was mind blowing.
    The world was a lot bigger then.
    No internet, youtube, DVD's
    It was all, I dare say, "word of mouth".
    Jaco had that "something"
    James Jamerson had it, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Miles Davis.
    Many others.
    I've seen other bassists, with more chops.
    But nobody, who could groove like Jaco when he was on.
    One of a kind.

19. robisbass

robisbass

Sep 14, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's no doubt he was revolutionary, ground-breaking, brilliant, original, technically amazing, musical, inspiring. He brought electric bass to the forefront and gave it a level of respect not seen before. All electric bassist (and really Double bassists too) stand on his shoulders whether we admit it or not.

Rest In Peace Jaco. You couldn't find that in life, we can only hope you found it in death. And thank you for the beautiful music.

20. Just got through Blasting The Chicken from the Live Invitation Album in his Honor - I love that tune and Jaco burns on it.