RIP Jean Lançon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JayAmel, Sep 12, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I'm quitting bass
    I have no choice

No more money
    Lost my job when my company was killed by a swindle
    No job opportunities here

I have to sell all my gear if I want my family to keep on having normal meals

2. :( Sorry to hear that, Jean. Hope things start going better for you soon. Take care of yourself, all right?
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Hopefully, you'll find a job before you have to sell all of your equipment. :(
  4. Man, that sucks! Can't you move to another city where there are more job opportunities?

Bonne chance et ne lâche pas la basse!
  5. wow dude, im very sorry to hear this. as others said hopefully you can find another job soon. if all else fails maybe you will be able to at least get an essex to keep from having to quit altogether :(
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    a friend of mine just said he takes the p-bass at a correct price. i'm sad to let it go, and it will be worse when time comes to sell the rick

sorry i won't stay long here whinning, i feel too down to stay

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, jean. good luck with things. i hope things turn around for you soon.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sorry Jean :(

I'm doing all I can too... I've just resorted to taking a retail job a the local Staples (office supply chain). They did start me at a much better rate then most... but it's still @ about 1/4 what I use to make.

:bassist: Hang Tough!
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry Jean, I hpoe you see better days soon. :(
  10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. All the best to you.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I feel for you, Jean.

Best of luck. Don't be a stranger.
  12. So sorry to hear this, Jean. Try to look up; no bad time lasts forever.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

In the mid-90's I took four years off from playing bass. Getting started again was frustrating as heck... I knew what to play, but regaining strength and endurance was a b*tch.

That said, the time off was, in a way, very refreshing. Over that time I continued to listen to music, but instead of constantly listening as a bass player, I listened as I did before I started playing: to the composition as a whole, rather than as individual parts (particularly the bass line). That may have contributed to the fact that I seemed to have more creativity after the layoff.

I don't know that this is true for certain, and there are much better ways to enhance creativity than by staying away from bass for four years. I guess my point is that a layoff, even a long one, isn't the end of the world.

I well understand that priorities must be dealt with. Bon chance, mon ami.
  14. Jean - I'm really sorry to hear your news!

I know that you have been through some hard times, and made hard choices! This isn't easy for you I know, but for you and you're family I understand what you're doing....

I hope that you and your family get the break they deserve, and bounce back! Best wishes for you and your family!

I hope to see you back on here soon my friend, telling us of your new acquisitions!

Peace, and good luck!
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wait, what?? AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh say it aint so brotha. You must find a way.
  16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Wow Jean. You'll be missed, but please keep us updated every now and then.

Keep at it- my bass teacher quit playing for 5 years to support his family, and now's he's back and better than ever. :)
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm sorry to hear about that.. But good luck!
  18. and here i thought things were looking up for you, man.

really sorry to hear this, Jean. But y'know; sell only what can easily be replaced first, you know?
    (like the wifey) :p:p

sorry, man. i hope it all blows over asap!!

rock on man!
  19. Here's advice, keep ONE bass.

Sell the other stuff, but just keep one.