1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Jan 21, 2012.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :(

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I know it's going to be soon, but is he really dead?

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm seeing conflicting reports. ESPN's crawl says he is in serious condition. There are a couple reports that he has died, but also reports that a spokesman has said that rumors of his death are not true.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Looks like it was a FOX TV station in Philly that reported his death prematurely.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Heard he passed from my brother in law who is formerly a PSU NL and is currently in sports information at a college down south. Apparently he was misinformed. Sorry. :(

6. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Typical media BS....they all want to be the one to say "You heard it here first". :mad:

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    The station should be closed prematurely... :scowl:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, unfortunate. The person who broke the "story" and their manager should be held accountable. Reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry".

-Mike

9. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    he is dealing with lung cancer

10. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Confirmed by his family at 10:00 this morning, dead at the age of 85. RIP, JoePa.

11. Get the widow on the set....we need dirty laundry!!

Classic line!

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not surprised it ended this way. Penn State had been his life, I'm not shocked that he did not last long after he lost that job. I know it's pointless, but I just wish he had retired maybe ten years ago. One thing I have learned is that it just doesn't pay to love anything of this earth too much. No one should be so attached to anything that we cannot let it go because the things we love can come back to hurt us and let us down.

The really ironic thing is the man deserves to be honored by PSU, but how can you honor someone that you have just fired? More importantly, why would the family want the university to honor Paterno when they went so far as to take Paterno's wife's gym membership away after the coach was let go?

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    According to one of the PSU trustees during an interview Thursday, he said Joe Paterno was fired as football coach but was still a PSU employee and collecting a salary from the university. I wonder why that was not mentioned before.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Not_sure_if_serious.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To me, the gym membership was an example of kicking someone when she was already down. If it had been me, it would have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

16. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    NOT THE GYM MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!AAHHHHHHHH!!11!!1!1111!1!!

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    She will proably follow close behind him. Studies show that the spouse usually dies within six months. Sadly. That poor woman had been though alot.