1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP John Wetton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are a couple threads on it already. They will probably be merged at some point.

RIP John. Thanks for the jams.

3. This is horrible news... I'm a huge Wetton fan and this is really sad to hear.

RIP John. Thank you for the great music.

4. Magicalbeck

Magicalbeck

Feb 2, 2017
    I really can't believe all the great singers/bassists for King Crimson GONE... Or my favorites anyway. Boz, Lake, Wetton.
    Wetton was a very brilliant player in my opinion. I'm not a bass player though. Singer/pianist. I had a Musicmaster for a short time and had this dream of adding bass to my skillz but it never really materialized and I had to sell it.

Anyway RIP John. Hate I never saw you live like i saw Boz -with Crimson- and Lake -with ELP.
    He wrote some creative bass lines and vocal melodies too.

seang15, bassguppy and Matthew_84 like this.
  5. bunkie

bunkie Banned

Feb 22, 2017
    Greg Lake and John Wetton two of my favs and different styles of playing. In the early days Lake was a Jazz Bass player with a pick and Wetton was a P-Bass player with fingers. One of my fav bass parts that Wetton plays is the middle part from Starless on the "RED" album. I saw both several times....Lake play in ELP and ELPowell and Wetton Play in U.K. and Asia. Way too young...69 and 67

6. Magicalbeck

Magicalbeck

Feb 2, 2017
    Starless is one of the best songs ever written and I know the part to which you're referring. My three favorite Crimson songs are Epitaph, Islands and Starless. Quite varied but all beautiful.
    Boz was new at bass but quite talented in his own right, by the time I saw him on his last gig ever with Crimson, he was proficient, and then his work with Bad Co was cool and sparse. But I think he was proudest of his later work as a jazz player which had always been his aim, and taste.
    Thanks for replying!
    I really loved those bass players for Crimson. All good frontmen too in their respective moments, although I think Boz lacked confidence and found his comfort zone slightly in the background.
    But I'll forever remember him, and each, as a front man for the great !!
    Wetton was the king of pathos for me, Lake of majesty, and Boz of intimacy.
    Boz Burrell had a beautiful voice as his friend and partner Ian Wallace said when BB died.
    I apologize for positing this here and thanks in advance for indulging me, but I'm on an unofficial mission to get more respect for the Bozzell. Wetton and Lake fortunately do not have this problem. Thank goodness !!
    This is excellent reading for a bass player, it pertains.

Ian Wallace Pays Tribute To Boz

bunkie likes this.
  7. Magicalbeck

Magicalbeck

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks for bringing to my memory that Lake was a jazz player in the early days with pick. And Wetton finger picking. Did those two ever play fretless ? I can't remember. When I listen to Crimson I must confess I don't think of those things at the moment.

8. bunkie

bunkie Banned

Feb 22, 2017

I have never seen or heard either play fretless. Lake also moved on to Rickenbacker 4001, Gibson Ripper, custom Zematis Double neck, Alembic (including 8 string), Tru, Spector, Wal, Sadowsky....and always with a pick.

I know that John Wetton later went to a Jazz Bass in the band U.K. and played with a pick for some tunes and fingers on others. I've seen pix of him using a ZON which I know very little about as well as back to a Jazz and a P=Bass for the some of the U.K. Reunion stuff which I am so miffed about missing.

I've seen Greg Lake play a total of 5 times and John Wetton play a total of 5 times which is interesting.

Was never too crazy about Boz and the KC Island LP except of course for Formentera Lady and Sailor's Tale. After Bad Company I had no idea whatever became of Boz.

I never saw KC. I've seen members of KC, but never Mr. Fripp and his band mates together.

9. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Oh Jeeze, what a total and complete humble guy who had all sorts of loads of talent. I want to be like John Wetton! Just sayin'. :cool:

seang15 likes this.
  10. He was a great and also a bassists bassist. His playing varied over the years, as he was adaptable to different settings. An excellent guitarist and keyboardist as well (he played keys on "Days Like These") and also on Celtic Cross.

Marcus Willett and seang15 like this.
  11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    He also played an Ibanez sometime during either late UK or early Asia...so, an early 80s model, kinda Fender-ish looking but with a weirdly sculpted headstock. Remember him mentioning an Ibanez 6-string tuned EADGBE in a magazine interview also.

12. bunkie

bunkie Banned

Feb 22, 2017
    He also played a Gibson Victory (which I am not familiar with) early in Asia (you can see it in promo pix) as well as more recent Asia reunion concerts. Haven't seen pix with the Ibby, but I am not doubting it (there is a white double neck that looks like an Ibby bass and 12 string from the headstock in some pix floating around he web). I do know he kinda went ape with ZON basses much later in his career. I guess when the cash started coming in from the first Asia album he could pick and choose. I still enjoy the P-Bass playing on the KC Red era albums the most....have to be my fav.

13. Magicalbeck

Magicalbeck

Feb 2, 2017
    Wow thanks for sharing.