Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Johnny Cochran

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just reported on the news here that Johnny Cochran dies after a long illness. I hadn't even heard he was sick.

Very ironic that his untimely passing would come while one of his most famous former clients is on trial for what's left of his credibility.

Johnny, you'll be missed.

Peace,

James

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yowza, that's unexpected.

That's probably why he didn't take his old client's new case...

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Getting murderers off "scott" free is a wonderful legacy.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Actually, JC had been 'sick' for about a year now.
    RIP.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    RIP

We, as watchers of the crap we call "the news", will never know if OJ, MJ, or any other J, is/was guilty or not. Mr.Cochran did his job, and did it extremely well.

no more Chewbacca defense....

6. Look at the wookie!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was very suprised to here of his passing, i didint even know he was ill. He really looked great for his age. Rest in Christ peace Johnny.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not by me.

9. R.I.P.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He's more likely to rot in hell, and that's fine by a lot of people

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Isn't that usually a given for lawyers?

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :rollno: Nice words from a moderator. You set a sterling example.

Pretty harsh words for someone you never met, and only know from passing stories on the news. Condemning a man based on two, or three, clients over a lifetime's work is pretty shallow. Newsflash--lawyers have to defend people, even if they are guilty. That's kinda one of the nice things of living in a (mostly) civilized society. If we left it up to the dunces on the street with the "I can smell a guilty person" syndrome, it'd be a much scarier place, don't ya think?

If you needed a lawyer for something you did, or didn't do, and he had offered his services for free, you'd accept them in a second. You're going to demoninze a man because he was good at his job?

If you say you wouldn't have, you're either a liar, or a moron.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yes, all lawyers are evil. I suggest the next time you get in legal trouble, you forego their hellspawn advice and do it on your own. See how that works out for ya.

And, while you're at it, make sure you don't call any cops when someone breaks into your home since they are all racist thugs, too, right?

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For starters, I wasn't generalising about lawers. I reserve my animosity for those who set murderers free and are still able to sleep at night. I can never look up to a person like that no matter how you paint it.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if Cochrane successfully defended the person that killed one of your own family members? If you say yes, you're either a liar or a moron.

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Johnny Cochran hasn't set any "murderers free." Lawyers don't have that power, you see. That's up to a judge and jury. So, you're saying he's at fault because the jury saw things his way? He had the power to brainwash people with pithy catchphrases? The prosecution doesn't have to do their job?

As for your comment about him defending the person that killed a member of my family? Considering that he's a lawyer whose job is to defend, I would actually be more upset with the prosecution. It is their job to make the case. Innocent before guilty, and all that. Would I want to invite him to Christmas dinner? Probably not. But, I am not going to blame a lawyer for doing a lawyer's job. But, you know, nice hypothetical. :rolleyes:

As a lawyer, he is supposed to only defend the innocent? He's supposed to do a worse job because the person is guilty, and he should be trying to get him put away? Again, you are condemning a man because he did his job well.

And, out of curiosity--how many scholarships for poor people have you set up like Cochran did?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I agree completely that it is the job of a defense attorney to defend his client...even when he knows he is guilty.

Any defense attorney who didn't would be kicked out of the profession.

Once you start making people guilty without trial, you start on a very slippery slope that would eventually ruin our society. ALL people are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The prosecutors job is to prove that guilt. It's not the defense attorney's job to prove innocence as that is already a given...unless proven otherwise.

You want to be upset with someone about how the OJ trial turned out? Look to the prosecutors and the jury...and in some way, even ourselves. But blame the defense attorney? That is truly absurd.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well we at least agree the justice system failed. Where we disagree is who's respinsible for that failure. I don't want to live in a society that has no faith in it's justice system. That one trial did more damage to damage to people's faith in the justice system than you realise.

You pick your hero's, I'll pick mine!

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I never said he was a hero of mine. Hell, I didn't even like the guy. I thought he was a pompous fame chaser. But, he didn't break the legal system, either.

And, that doesn't change that he helped the little guy as often as he defended a celebrity. It doesn't change the good he did in his community. It doesn't change that he helped a lot of people. And, it doesn't change that you really have no standing whatsoever to say, "Rot in Hell," either, without looking like a fool in my eyes.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He'll always be remembered for the line "If it doesn't fit, you must aquit" regaring the "bloody glove" in the OJ trial. What a pop culture legacy for a guy who apparently did a lot of good work other than getting OJ out of his murder rap. Want an effective closing argument? Rap it.:eyebrow:

A friend of mine commented something to the affect of "They ruled out heart failure as cause of death because he didn't have a heart".

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, because prior to the OJ trial we had absolute faith in our justice system. All of us.

:meh:

I'm sure you're not joking so I'll chalk it up to being incredibly optimistic... and myopic. Whose faith did the OJ trial damage?

Blaming laywers for what JURIES decide is pretty rich too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.