1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Louisville jazz guitarist Scott Henderson

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody who's spent any time around the Louisville jazz scene will have run into Scott. He's played a million gigs with a million people and mentored a lot of younger players (including me to an extent many years ago). Scott, you will be missed.

There's a nice blog entry by Jon Raney about Scott here.

Attached Files:

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sorry to hear that, and so young as well. Condolences.

3. I never had the pleasure of playing with Scott but pretty much everyone I play with regularly knew him well. Very sorry to see him go.

4. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    This is a drag to hear. I played a gig with Mr. Henderson in the late 80's when I was just getting started. Despite that I had no business being on the bandstand at that time, he never once alluded to that fact (which I appreciated) and played great. I think I still have my copy of Child's Play somewhere. That's the title, right? Goldsby's on it? It was a while ago....

Anyway, thanks for posting this. My condolences to all his near and dear.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The funeral was today. Every regional musician who's even dipped their toes in jazz was there. Craig Wagner played and Carly Johnson sang. It was sad and almost surreal to see all a whole room full of people who are normally either stoic or who deflect any attempt at serious conversation with inappropriate humor and/or language on the verge of losing it the entire time. While the occasion was sad, there was also a solidarity there centered around a genuine love of Scott and a mourning at his absence. One of his closer long time friends turned to me halfway through the service, and told me (while still half choking up) "Scott would love this: I have to leave to go to a gig". And with that, he left.

He was absolutely right - Scott would have loved that.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.