1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Milford Graves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Pablo Jimenez, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Pablo Jimenez

Pablo Jimenez

Jan 8, 2020
    I'm surprised there's no thread of this yet. The great drummer and pioneer of creative music, Milford Graves, passed away today. He worked with most of the big names in the free jazz scene including Anthony Braxton, Albert Ayler, William Parker, the NYAQ, etc...

GlenParks, vilshofen, Reiska and 3 others like this.
  2. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    He also was involved in the study of human heartbeat, art, sculpture - a very interesting person. RIP

Winoman likes this.
  3. RIP!

4. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    There are lots of jokes about all-star bands assembled in heaven. The last 12 months would have produced an amazing one. What a great musician he was. I don't think younger musicians who weren't around when "free jazz" innovators were cobbling together a new way of doing it really get the profound influence these guys had. Like serial composers in the world of classical composition, they opened up everyone's ears to new sounds and we're all influenced by their music now no matter what style of music we play.

5. I really wish he made more albums! This one is huge favorite, with Gary Peacock on bass:

He did two with Eddie Gomez on bass:

This is a beautiful album with Alan Silva on bass:

6. garrett2

garrett2 Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I was just listening to the Kenny Clarke record with Milford Graves, Andrew Cyrille, and Don Moye. Awesome. Milford Graves was a god.

oliebrice likes this.
  7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    A complete genius. "Babi" is mind melting!! The recent film about him, "full mantis" is great, reccomended

8. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  9. GlenParks

GlenParks Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2019
    River Falls, WI

10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Roxbororob likes this.
  11. Reggie Workman plays great on here:

oliebrice and GlenParks like this.
  12. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    With great respect Mr. Graves. Rest in peace.

13. GlenParks

GlenParks Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2019
    River Falls, WI
    Thanks for sharing this.

damonsmith likes this.
  14. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I love that film - the footage of them hanging out eating and reminiscing in one of their kitchens is particularly great

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021