Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP MXR-Hello PRO-EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 8, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, for reasons that I don't know, my 37 day old MXR M-80 Direct box died today. It had next to no output from anything from the XLR output or the unbalanced output. I called GC to see if I was out of luck for an exchange since I was 7 days over their 30 day exchange/return period. To my relief that said they would exchange it for the same product, or something else if I wanted to.
    I decided to go with the fishman Pro-EQ. So far, I have mixed feelings about the difference.

Positives for the Fishman over the MXR include
    1. a better battery compartment, with a low battery light.
    2. a 5(!) band EQ
    3. built in compressor, seems to work well, without sucking down the tone.
    4. a lift/ground switch for running multiple outputs.
    5. a gain knob

negatives include

1. would it kill them to put a "power on" light on this thing? unless you are running phantom power, it's hard to tell if it's on or not. I like a light to reassure me.
    2. no noise gate, but it seems so far like a very quiet unit so far, so maybe it doesn't need it.
    3. Unlike the MXR and the sansamp, this unit doesn't do much to affect or improve the sound of a cheap bass. The MXR made my bass sound like a much better bass, and so far this one doesn't. It's a clean EQ, with no cab emulation.

all in all, I would say I made an upgrade, I actually ended up getting the fishman for $15 more than the MXR, which usually sells for much more.

any comments?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Apples to oranges.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    TuBass, my M-80 died after about 4 months. Seems mine (and maybe yours) got out before a necessary Engineering Change. Seems that static electricity was zapping one of the ICs. I sent mine in, because Dunlop warranties them for one year, and they put some diodes in there to keep the static elec. out and replaced the IC. All for free.

K