1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP MXR-Hello PRO-EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 8, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, for reasons that I don't know, my 37 day old MXR M-80 Direct box died today. It had next to no output from anything from the XLR output or the unbalanced output. I called GC to see if I was out of luck for an exchange since I was 7 days over their 30 day exchange/return period. To my relief that said they would exchange it for the same product, or something else if I wanted to.
    I decided to go with the fishman Pro-EQ. So far, I have mixed feelings about the difference.

Positives for the Fishman over the MXR include
    1. a better battery compartment, with a low battery light.
    2. a 5(!) band EQ
    3. built in compressor, seems to work well, without sucking down the tone.
    4. a lift/ground switch for running multiple outputs.
    5. a gain knob

negatives include

1. would it kill them to put a "power on" light on this thing? unless you are running phantom power, it's hard to tell if it's on or not. I like a light to reassure me.
    2. no noise gate, but it seems so far like a very quiet unit so far, so maybe it doesn't need it.
    3. Unlike the MXR and the sansamp, this unit doesn't do much to affect or improve the sound of a cheap bass. The MXR made my bass sound like a much better bass, and so far this one doesn't. It's a clean EQ, with no cab emulation.

all in all, I would say I made an upgrade, I actually ended up getting the fishman for $15 more than the MXR, which usually sells for much more.

any comments?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Apples to oranges.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    TuBass, my M-80 died after about 4 months. Seems mine (and maybe yours) got out before a necessary Engineering Change. Seems that static electricity was zapping one of the ICs. I sent mine in, because Dunlop warranties them for one year, and they put some diodes in there to keep the static elec. out and replaced the IC. All for free.

K