RIP Nokie Edwards (The Ventures)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassbrad, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sad to learn of the passing of Nokie Edwards lead guitar for The Ventures. Nookie also had a solo career and many studio sessions. A Native American and multi-instrumentalist he was originally the bass player for the Ventures swapping roles with Bob Bogle.
    The Ventures had many Golden Greats hits that were perfect for the singles generation and filled up juke boxes with coins far and wide with their upbeat blend of instrumental originals, takes on popular songs, movie themes as well as Christmas hits.
    Their musical inspiration, along with The Shadows, led many down the path of instrumental music influencing rock, jazz, country, surf and punk musicians alike.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    RIP to a Rock trailblazer!

3. tepperware

tepperware Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    FYI, that's "Nokie," not "Nookie."

4. Fixed, egg on face.

5. tepperware

tepperware Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2013
    New Jersey
    Just an honest mistake! I'm so glad I got to see him play a few years back. He was a real talent.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  6. I was fortunate to meet Nokie and Bob at a State Fair, the artist I was playing for at the time was tickled at my reaction as it was rare for me to be star struck. He and the rest of the band teased me mercilessly for months after that.

tepperware likes this.
  7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    RIP Nokie.

The first song I ever learned on bass was Walk, Don't Run.

Popps likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    One of the most influential guitarist of his era. And a former veteran like Hendrix.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    RIP NE, thanks for the great music.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    The Ventures were stars in Germany too!

Nokie was in the film "Rumble" (2016) - about the influence of native Americans on Rock music - too. He reported that it wasn't always easy as a Cherokee in the 1950s and 60s. He performed on the stage of Las Vegas hotels but could not have had the possibility to get a room there...

Rock in Peace!

11. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Nokie Edwards is the featured artist on radio show “60s Beat” tonight 3/24/18 at 7PM Pacific. Stream it at Welcome to KRVM.org Public Radio in Eugene, Oregon. I’ll be surprised if the host doesn’t have interesting background info and possibly recorded interviews to go with the tribute.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018