1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rip on my band's demo (one song so far). LOL Please throw the critisim at us. We need it.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TUEP, Jun 21, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    This was recorded using a digital device of some sort in a practice area about the size of a large bedroom. Yeah, yeah, yah blame it on the recording quality. LOL! I am not going to do that. I think in this clip I was using an Ibanez ATK-300 through either a Acoustic B-100, or a Trace Elliot 65 watt combo. I put it in audacity and tried to clean it up. I will admit my bass playing is a bit sloppy here.. LOL Anyway any advice is cool (I got thick skin) so I can take a rough assessment.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I am proud of this one. It has a IMO a great gritty bass tone.

3. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to admit this is a pretty classy board when nobody can be hard on you...even when a person asks for it. Gotta love talkbass.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. mrmills

mrmills

Jun 22, 2009
    Kent, UK
    Ever heard the phrase "patience is a virtue"?

Tone sounds solid although I can mostly hear clank. Your timing can be a little off but that doesn't take too much to fix :)

I use a little digital recorder at practices, it has two mics and two line/mic inputs. I use the inputs for the kick drum and for bass DI so I can mix them back in to the room recording, which comes from the internal mics . My advice would be to do the same as it makes it easier to analyse how you play to the beat and how you sound in isolation as well as with the rest of the band.

5. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Pfffff...you don't need hard skin. The recording quality is mediocre, but the songs are cool, and the bass cuts through nicely. I don't hear any timing issues in a first hearing, and I can't see why you wouldn't be proud of them. I'd go see you live. :)

mrmills likes this.
  6. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    The songwriting is really pretty exiting. Just rehearse those songs as much as needed, try not to let anyone quit the band. You guys are on to something.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    sounds good, like the songs/riffs.

i agree that you should watch your timing - it's a nice cutting bass sound but that means we can hear what you're doing ;)

the recording isn't doing the singer many favours but i suspect he sounds better in real life.

8. Sounds like the type of music you hear in EA licensed Video Game soundtracks. These can be your "we recorded these with an old laptop mic" demos your fans will collect in a few years.

I'm sure you will set the local scene on fire for a year or two and maybe get invited to a festival, then shoot a music video some teen will happy post on their Facebook page as "the new savior of music (unfortunately, the position of "savior of music" to your average, fickle young listener changes daily). Bluesy, "gritty," alt rock is always welcomed in dusty bars I hear. You will probably make some nice change being hired to play venues because you sound like "X band that costs too much to book." Your CD will probably get some "best of the year" nomination from some random blog. Your eventual breakup post on your social media page will surely get a few thousand likes I'm sure.

Sorry, was that too "real" for this thread's purpose?

9. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    What I heard were some promising young musicians, all in the same boat in terms of experience, that only need rehearsal and enthusiasm. I also heard a radio worthy singer.