1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP - Pete Stevens, Wal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nixdad, Dec 30, 2011.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    From the Wal website:

Sad news

It is with deepest sadness that we must pass on the news that Pete "The Fish" Stevens, co-founder of Wal Bass Guitars, passed away in the early hours of Wednesday 28th December. He had recently celebrated his 65th birthday.
    As many in the Wal family will know, Pete had suffered from chronic respiratory problems for many years. The world of music has lost a great innovator and a true craftsman, and we have lost a dear friend.
    Pete's funeral will take place at Amersham Crematorium on Tuesday 10th January 2012 at 12:15pm.
    Rather than send flowers, Pete's family has requested that friends make a donation to their favourite charity in his memory.

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    :( RIP.

3. Oh man... best bass I ever owned was made by this guy! Sad news...

4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, Wal basses are amazing. Pete made the basses we sold to Amy Mann, Jason Newsted, Flea, and many others back in the 80's & early 90's. He was a true craftsman.

5. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Sad News..... I wish I still had my Wal's and his fish scribble inside the control cavity. :(

6. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Truly sad to lose such an amazing luthier. Steve has been a huge inspiration for me and many others. My condolences to family, friends, and the Wal family for their loss.

R.I.P Steve

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Not unexpected but I'm gutted nonetheless. Pete was quite a character, I saved a voice mail he sent me for ages (it sounded like wrong number from Keith Richards :D). Raise a pint for Pete and play your Wals if you've got them!

Thanks Pete!
    teal_wal_800x600.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    <pint raised>

I only talked to him once or twice on the phone, but I understand he was a great guy and quite a character. RIP, Pete.

9. ='[

10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    RIP.

Weird, I just saw a Wal for sale locally today,which is extremely unusual, and the guy said it was made by Pete. I remember thinking to myself, I know he was in bad health but wondered if he was still alive. Sad news.

11. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I sir, hate you! :crying:

12. 69limeRev

69limeRev

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    Sad, sad news. I had the great pleasure of meeting Pete in 2002 (Mike Z...I think it was your bass I carried over, right?). Even got to share a pint at the local joint. RIP Pete. Here's to a world class Luthier and fine human being.

...John

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep, that was my MkIII 4-string that you carried over...glad you got to share a pint with Pete at the time.

14. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Looks like I'll have to break out the ole MkII in his honor.

RIP, Pete!

15. A Good Man; played my fretless Mach2 for over an hour tonight in his honor.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Playin' my geddy right now (it's signed off by Ian though...). RIP.

17. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    A nice man as well. Spent some time with him and Bert Gerecht at the 2001 Frankfurt Musik Messe. Brilliant craftsman and bass builder-he'll definitely be missed.
    RIP, Pete!

18. to young

19. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Sad. Condolences to his family. He knew his stuff.

20. Gregbrain

Gregbrain

Dec 31, 2011
    RIP Pete - I worked with you in High Wycombe and feel privileged to have known and worked with you. Love to all your family thinking of you - Greg

Toolmybass likes this.