1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Sam Rivers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by damonsmith, Dec 27, 2011.

1. I think it safe to say that David Holland developed a certain level of speed and articulation while still keeping a full tone while playing with Sam that pushed what was possible on the instrument forward.
    The trio with Altschul on European labels are good evidence. Bummer that Sam is gone, but awesome that he kept pushing the music for so long!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I heard Sam Rivers with Holland and Altschul at Ratso's in Chicago. Also with Malachi Favors and Hamid Drake much later on. I got to play a concert with him and it was a dream come true. I took my daughter to the Showcase to hear him a few years ago and he made a new fan!

He has long been one of my favorite musicians. We're gonna play Beatrice tonight for sure.

RIP

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    RIP

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    So are we. Let's all do it in his honor. Such a loss. RIP.

5. A Great loss; R.I.P. Sam Rivers

6. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    It took me a long time to get up the nerve to really listen to "Conference of the Birds". Thanks, Sam. RIP

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Perhaps it is a "generational" thing but I grew up on "Conference" and so with Mr. Rivers. That led to his duo records with Dave Holland and the only time I saw him was a duo concert with DH in 1976.

Later I found the "Phantom Miles Quintet" Japanese-tour record and others. Miles eventually got to where Mr. Rivers wanted him to go . . . he just wasn't ready in 1964.

RIP, traveler.

8. John Wiitala

John Wiitala

Nov 11, 2010
    " We're gonna play Beatrice tonight for sure."

We did last night.

I, too, came up listening to "...Birds" as well as his trio records and seeing him with Holland in a couple of different configurations.

RIP, Maestro.

9. There is one trio LP, called "Fluid", I think where Holland's playing is just so fierce! I heard Sam Twice once with Reggie Workman's amzing Summit Conference band, and once with his lesser Florida trio, Sam was great, the others not so special.

10. Here's a clip that does a decent job of showing Dave Holland's technique in the late 70's:

Sam Rivers Trio 1979 - YouTube

Sam Rivers had a way of sounding like himself in a wide variety of situations. Those records with Holland are great, listened to "Fluid" right after i heard of his passing. Also worth tracking down is "Contrasts" on ECM with Holland, George Lewis, and Thurman Barker.