1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Steve Neil

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TomSauter, Mar 20, 2010.

1. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    I got this email today, Steve Neil wasn't a household name, but he was an incredible bassist and a big influence on Charnett Moffett and many others

--------------------------------------------------------

Steve Neil passed away on Sunday.

He had developed a severe case of pneumonia, along with congestive heart failure. When he went to the hospital Saturday, both lungs were completely full of fluid. He ended up having open heart surgery to repair holes in a couple of arteries. He made it through the surgery, but then they couldn't get his blood pressure back up.

He had been living on the Cape for the past year-plus. Joanie, his partner, says he had been doing very well. She also thinks he may have known the end was near.

I am remembering a lot of wonderful music - as well as the unique acts like riding around on his bicycle with an upright bass on his back.

Peace to a truly gifted musician.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some great clips of him too

2. RIP Steve!

BTW, is it today or past sunday?

Best regards,
    François

3. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    Not sure

EDIT: last Sunday

4. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    Thanks for the info ... Steve was my teacher, a dear friend, and a deep inspiration to me. I had been out of touch for the past year and found out through a mutual friend of his passing this afternoon. He truly was an amazing musician and bassist of the highest order!

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    He was a great player. What a bummer. the Youtube clips are fantastic.

6. Naeem

Naeem

Sep 15, 2011
    Had the honor and pleasure of meeting steve neil back in 1994Studied with him for about a year, got to see him play live with Pharoh Sanders. We was on my mind for the last year , but could never find away to contact him. This news is shocking. I feel honored to have known such a great great muscian, and he was really GREAT.