1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Sunny Murray

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by koricancowboy, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Another giant lost.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I always liked Sunny's playing on record, never did get a chance to hear him live though.

That's a great CD (originally 2 LPs)...in fact I've yet to hear a BYG Actuel release that wasn't at least good. My local record store had many of them in the $1.99 cutout bins when I was in high school and they were my introduction to free jazz, the AACM and Sun Ra :thumbsup: Loved the great back cover photos and spent hours making use of my French studies reading the liner notes. Since there was nothing on the covers indicating the track titles or personnel the first few were purchased on pure faith. I liked those enough I was willing to buy anything on that label.

koricancowboy likes this.
  3. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    You aren’t alone. Actuel served as an introduction to free jazz for many people.