Ripoff artists: This week, Marylin Manson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 18, 2003.

1. I like him, but he's unoriginal

16 vote(s)
  2. I like him and find him original

8 vote(s)
  3. I hate him he's unoriginal

10 vote(s)
  4. I hate him and can't get past the stupid image.

24 vote(s)
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For someone who gets so much credit for being shocking and orginal, I seem to find "borrowed" ideas left and right. In his defense, I like Manson, once you get past his stupid STUPID image. "ooOoOOoh, I represent everything that's wrong with america." Didn't Gwar do that first. There's one. He started off a huge ALice Cooper ripoff, especially his live shows, there is two. Here's a general one, his overall sound, it seems too, I wanna be Trent Reznor. Except the Mechanical Animals album. I was listening to that a little while ago looking for ripoffs, but then I was like, "This is a fairly original album!" Then I don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me came on... It's "Fame" by David Bowie. Dead ringer. Listen to the verses, you'll see.

Lets not forget his recent hit. The name escapes me... mobscene? He uses pretty much the same cheerleaders that Faith No More used in the way more awesome song "Be Agressive."

Anyone have any other borrowed ideas I missed?
  2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    His name is a flagrant rip-off of Osama Spears.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have never wanted to hear any of his stuff due to his image. It always just seemed so contrived and fake. I did hear his sweet dreams cover on VH1, once. That pretty much confirmed it for me.
  4. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    He's ridiculous.

Let's not give him even more attention :rolleyes:
  5. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    his real name is brian
    he used to work at peaches in ft lauderdale
    he'd roll his eyes no matter what you bought
    his band sucked then
    and they suck now
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It must kill you that he's rich, famous, and gets to date hot chicks, then. ;) :D

Every generation has to have the "Rock Star" that parents fear and politicians point to as the "Decline of Western Civilization." Now that Ozzy is making Diet Pepsi commercials, and Alice Cooper is hosting charity golf tournaments, someone had to pick up the mantle, right?

I mean, in the age of Clear Channel Corporate Rock, Marilyn Manson is the best they can come up with, I'm afraid.

Try not to waste too much energy on him.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    sells alot of records tho no? so he cant be doing ThAT much wrong.

he is a stage act, in the same way alice cooper is. i dont hate him. he writes quite catchy tunes imo.

dont think he isnt in on the joke. he fully understands the irony of his show.
  8. FTM's song was on much awesome-er subject matter, too.
  9. Kenny G also sells a lot of records...does that mean that he's good too? I think not.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Every generation has its own Alice Cooper type(Little Richard). And the youngsters these days are going after what's seems accessable.
    Most youngins aren't going to do "rock research" to see who was "the first" or the "original".
  11. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Alice Cooper on Marilyn Manson:

"I think he's great, with the female first name and everything. I wish I had thought of that."

12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like Manson well enough, once you get past the image. And his adolescent ramblings. And failed attempt to be intelligent. And his botched try to be meaningfull. And his attempt to pass for an artists. And his attempt at being controversial. And now his attempt to remain semi-relevant. And his horribly derivitave peseudo goth industrial.

Wait a second...
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Certainly not mine. You keep him. :p
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, at least he said the one intelligent sentence in Bowling For Columbine. He may be your PE #1 but he's intelligent and eloquent in interviews, which is more than you can say of others ;)
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  17. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    but twiggy........*dies*

*insert long witty, informative and intelligent comment here, while i think of twiggy*

*dies again*
  18. Damn right. The image is going a bit far now with the chrome teeth or whatever they are, but I think he's a very intelligent man from everything I've seen of him.

I own the Antichrist Superstar album, while it's not incredible it's certainly not horrible. I respect his views and opinions a whole lot more than his image or music though.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Having seen the scene over the decades, I agree with JMX.

He may be a distillation of Cooper, but he has enough marketing savvy to realize there's a whole generation or two who have no idea of the Cooper phenomemon when it was truly shocking.

Too bad the original Cooper band could take Manson's band to school in terms of talent and songwriting prowess.