Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ripper or G-3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToStogyDX, Mar 25, 2001.

1. I'm gonna buy one of these in that 70's line from Gibson, Ripper, Grabber, G-3. I was wondering which one is the best? I know that the G-3 has 3 pickups, and you can move one of the pickups in the Grabber. I also know that Krist Novoselic used a Ripper, Mike Dirnt used a G-3, and Gene Simmons or whatever his name is used a Grabber. I really like the shape and any help on which bass to get would be great.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Both the G-3 and Grabber were bolt-ons. The Ripper is a set neck. The Grabber was never well-liked at least from the majority of opinions I heard, and while it's been a while since I've played one, it didn't impress me and the movable pickup seemed cheesy

The G-3 gets better comments, especially regarding the variety of sounds available. I've not played one but would be interested to do so someday. However, IMHO the Ripper probably beat both, based on my 25 yr. ownership of a fretless Ripper and recent acquisition of a fretted Ripper. The set neck seems to make a big difference, and perhaps better workmanship.

YMMV

My Rippers:
    http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm with Mr. G. :) . `Course I'm a li'l biased. Got a sweet "natural"
    from Bass Northwest a while back :D.

There's a nice `burst fretless Ripper ("100% original") at
    Legends Music for less than $600 :eek: . There's more
    at http://www.gbase.com .

Don't forget...if ya' get the Ripper it's got through-body stringing.
    To take advantage of that, a FEW string suggestions...
    T/I JF364 or JR364, or Roto RS88-EL :D .

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

4. Oh okay great thanks guys. Anyone else ?

5. I've had a G-3 for quite a while and really like the sound of the bass and if they are properly set up they will play as good as a Ripper, the sound is a lot like an alembic bass to my ears. If you are a slapper then go with a G-3 but if you play fingerstyle of with a pick then a Ripper will work best. There are usually several of both models for sale on ebay but stay away from modified basses some foolish things have been done to these basses over the years. Be sure to get a hardshell case, there is only 1 case ever made that these basses fit into.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just an FYI: In addition to the Gibson case, another company made Ripper cases with aluminum rails around the edges and a light, tolex-covered wood; I know, my Ripper came with one when I bought it new in the 70's.

I've since sold it when the opportunity to buy an Epiphone case -- the recent reissue Rippers (already discontinued) have caused new cases to become available (I assume made by TKL ?? - made in Canada on the compartment tag). I have two; one with the Epiphone logo and one without. They are very nice identical, rectangular cases, and great and very secure homes for my fretted and fretless Rippers - much nice that the case I first mentioned. Picked both mine up on eBay.

Also, just picked up one of the Fender two bass gig bags last week. Surprisingly enough, given the large body, the Rippers fit in them, no problem.

7. Go with the Ripper, You won't be sorry.
    The Epiphone Ripper only has one pup, And has a bolt on neck NOT a set neck like the real thing....
    It does make a difference.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    i reckon the grabber has the best sound, thats why i want one so if anyone has one please sell it to me!!!!but yes nirvana did sound good in 1991 with the ripper but GD rocked in 1994. id go for a grabber with the sliding pup, i dont like the shape of the rippers head anyway. go for a grabber man, go for the G3!
    see ya later
    Luke

9. DaRange

DaRange

Mar 12, 2001
    Minneapolis MN.
    Hi
    I had a g3 in the 70's it has better sound and looks cooler than the grabber. It played great and was light, one major problem was with the truss rod in the neck they kept breaking. went through 3 necks before i dumped it.

10. I definitely feel the Ripper is the best of the bunch. It just seems to be made a little bit better thn the other two. The set neck is very good in this case and the hardware seems better (Especially the bridge). I also think the Ripper has the best sound by far. Unlike many Gibson humbuckers, these ones are extremely clear and smooth. Also the Ripper's midrange cut control is one of the coolest features I've seen on just about any bass (and quite handy with controling the inherent 'knockiness' of some humbuckers).

11. Okay Ripper was my first thought, thanks for all the help. Now if I could only find a black Ripper like Krist..... =)

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Aantone's Music (no pic)..."1978 Gibson Ripper, Black, excellent, GigBag, $500.00"

and, in case ya' change your mind :)...

"1978, EXC, maple fingerboard, 3 PUs, black finish, OHC,
    REDUCED FROM $600...$475" at Gruhn Guitars

13. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    ya but krist novoselic used an RD artist
    and a thunderbird also,
    and some other wierd looking black bass.
    i played a thunderbird and an RD artist and a ripper and most of the other models mentioned,
    i think the RD artist beats them all,
    but thats me,
    have a nice day

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey notduane... which of those pics is your bass??

-robert

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

16. Yeah Bob, I had forgotten about the aluminum piping cases I had one with an Aria Ripper copy way back when. I'll check into the TKL cases. My test on gig bags is to see if the G3 fits.

17. I would agree with the RD post. If you want a 70s or 80s Gibson bass, I think the RD was the best. I had an RD Standard (black) and thought it was very cool. The Artist is also a good bass, and I see them around used quite a bit.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am wanting to get one of those for myself, but if all of you guys start telling people how great they are, it will drive the price up and I won't be able to afford one!:)

You guys want a Ripper or a G3, the RD Artists suck!;)

19. You are correct, but he also used a Ripper for recording Nevermind and In Utero. He used the RD artist for Older and live stuff, and he used a Black Jazz bass for Bleach. He used the black and natural thunders for live nevermind. LOOK AT THE INLAY OF BLEACH FOR A NICE PIC OF KRISTS AND HIS RIPPER

20. I owned a G-3 in the late 70s for a couple of years.
    I liked it, but sold it in order to buy something else. It sounded very different, I don't know what bass to compare it to. The Ripper was very nice, one of the first Gibson basses I heard that didn't have that "Whompy" sound. The RD artist was one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard in my life! I had the chance to buy one, passed it up, and that's why I'm in therapy to this day! My Epi Jack Casady does help to reduce my catatonic state though.

Seriously though, I'd say the Ripper is the best choice of the three. If you do get a chance to check out an RD, you won't regret it.

They discontinued the Epi Rippers already? Sheez!

Mike J.