1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ripper or g-3?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TokaFly, Jan 4, 2002.

1. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm confused and torn.

2. The Ripper has 2 humbuckers, 3 knobs (volume, midrange rolloff, and treble rolloff), 4 way rotary tone switch, set neck, and can be strung through the body.

The G-3 has 3 single coil pups, 2 knobs, 1 switch, and has a bolt on neck.

I prefer the Ripper.

3. I can only pass on what I have heard,since I have`nt gotten the chance to play either of these basses. :(

Most people rave about the Gibson Ripper.It seems to be the most sought after of the three(ripper,g-3,grabber).I`m talking the original Ripper,not the wimpy reissue by Epi.

If you can find one for a decent price I would go for it dude! :D

4. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i wouldnt dare to get an epi

neither of the two are expensive... there are plenty of pawn shops here!

5. I have a Gibson G3 and it is one of the most misunderstood and underappreciated basses that Gibson ever made. The G3 has 3 single coil pickups that act like 2 humbucking pickups because the middle coil is RWRP and is always in the circuit, if the middle pickup is lowered as low as possible [mine is attached to the body] it acts as a dummy coil. And it is also a string thru body bass Rippers are cool basses too and I really couldn't say which is better, but I want a Ripper too.

6. Then get both! I would. :D

7. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    i actually just finished beefing up an old hagstrom i found for next to nothing...

it ended up draining the natl. treasury of me

8. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
  9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

10. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i've been to gbase...

i'm actually looking for a blk finish/ebony