ripper thru svt II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ripper75, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    i play a gibson ripper thru an svt II and i like the sound, but i'm wondering if i could get a brighter sound (similar to mike dirnt) thru a different amp, maybe a mesa 400, a GK800rb, or combining the svt with a solid state possibly. any suggestions for a suitable amp for my ripper to break thru two ridiculously loud rock guitarists? thanks.
  2. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a '74 Ripper and used to play it through a GK800. You can get a brighter tone, but not like Mike Dirnt. I don't know if you've noticed, but I never found the ripper to be a tone monster of a bass. I love the way it looks, but seldom play it. Try running a Out board Preamp in the front end. On the seldom times when I play the ripper, I use and SansAmp BDDI and put a lot of presence, a little drive, and boost the Low. That'll get you closer to the sound you want.

Good luck.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    I had a '74 Ripper. I bought new in '74 cause it seemed to have all kinds of tone options with the turn of that little egg timer knob. It did, but not too many were useable at gigs. So I replaced the pups in '83 with some Semour Duncans and the bass really sounded fine. The 'in phase, out of phase' dial still didn't offer much useable variations, but the basic sound was a lot more solid. It was stolen, but I replaced it with a '72 J-bass that had SD's in it.
  4. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What model were the Duncan replacement PU's? I don't think that they are still on the market.
  5. I'd go for the Mesa Bass 400 or 400+. I own a Bass 400, and play a Rick through it....all maple, like the Ripper, and it can slice through the mix like William Wallace's Claymore.

I also think that Rippers can get much brighter than any Fender out there - listen to Faith No More's first album(if you can find it). Billy uses a Ripper(through a Peavey Mark III or IV) on that album, and it makes Mike Dirnt's tone seem dull in comparison..
  6. Ever think that the same tonal adjustment could be made through your cab(s)?