1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ripping out my EMG GZR-P... Change my mind.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Double E, Nov 7, 2018.

1. The GZR Rules All... don't waste your time with that stock POS.

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. The Custom Shop 60's Precision pickup should've been left in there, the GZR is not an upgrade.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. They are completely different...the only way to know what you like is to try both.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Back away from the screwdriver and eat some carrots.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 2014 American Standard Precision. It came to me with an EMG Geezer Butler pickup and pots installed in place of the originals. The seller included the original stock Fender Custom Shop '60s pickup and wiring.

I dig the Geezer but the little voice in my head wants to see what the bass sounds like with the original.

Should be an easy endeavor. The original pickup and pots are still wired up and in-tact, the only thing remotely fiddly to deal with is the ground wire.

Give me some insight as to what I might hear different.

Let me know if you think I am an idiot.

2. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    It's an easy swap. It'll take longer to warm up the soldering iron than to do the actual work.
    I tried both and didnt love either one (didnt hate them either). I settled on a Bartolini classic P.

Double E likes this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Aren’t both of these pickups pretty similar in construction? Alnico magnets of the same size and shape, with copper wire wound around that? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I remember Geezer saying they were trying to capture a vintage Fender vibe. And I’d be willing to bet that Fender is after similar sounds. I’ll bet they won’t sound that different. So, I could chastise you for wasted effort, or say “no big deal, you’re not destroying anything, just making it look a bit more authentic”.

4. This will figuratively crush either of those:

Split PTM | DiMarzio

DP127W.

I love Geezer's playing, but I have a difficult time getting my head around him actually using those horrible pickups :wideyed:

Double E likes this.
  5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks bub, I’ll check those out.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. The Reverend p-style basses use a similar pickup (double blades) & they've got oomph!

L19981000001000-00-500x500.

Those DiMarzio's are rated the highest output, 250 milliVolts. (1/4 Volt)

marh415 likes this.
  7. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I love the custom shop pickups in my 2016 jazz, but I wonder if I'm missing something. I put SD QP's in my Mustang last night and was blown away by the tone difference. Obviously, a BIG pickup difference but still.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The GZR has more Mid present compare to scoop+bright hi CS60P pup. The GZR sound great if you are aggressive pick player + roundwound guy.

Prefer Flatwound + finger style on C'S60P pup.

My2cents.

TN WOODMAN, Double E and blip like this.
  9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    As Yahboy said, the CS 60's has a mid scoop and gets lost in a band situation. The GZR has a mid bump that makes it easily heard.