Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*rips out hair*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cronus, Jul 31, 2004.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    ok guys i cant decide on what im going to do with upgrading my amp. im either going to go with an ampeg svt 4-pro or a power/pre setup. you guys got any pro's and con's for having each? and if your going power/pre setup recommend them? i have an ampeg svt810 so i can handle some good wattage.

http://www.purevolume.com/fallprey check it out :) it could also give you an idea of the tone im looking for

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i always like the preamp poweramp setup as if i (or you) ever change our minds about what preamp sound we like, switching is easy
    besides, you can generally get much more power from a poweramp than a head
    the stewart 1.2 and 2.1 as well as QSC's PLX series have many fans here on TB as they are lightweight and powerful SS amps
    or course you could always say the heck with it and get an SVT classic head - :cool:

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Yeah, if you got say... an SVP-PRO and a QSC RMX 1450 you'd basically have the svt-4pro. Except $400 cheaper.

It wouldn't look as cool though. And that's unfortunate.

4. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    thats a key

i do have guitar center employee discounts also people

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I say if you want the SVT-4PRO, go for it. If your mind is set on it, then nothing else may settle.

However, if you'd rather go the economic route, go with what Yoss said.

SVP-PRO (or SVT-IIP, your choice) + QSC RMX 1450 would actually have more power than the SVT-4PRO. But it would be heavier as well. The SVT-4PRO weighs in at 42lbs, and the SVP is only 9, and the QSC RMX would be (guessing here, and going off of another thread of mine) around 40. So if weight is a factor, there isn't going to be too much of a difference, but somewhere around ten pounds, which will make a difference to your back after a while. ;)

Your choice, really. You'd get the Ampeg sound either way, it's just how you want to get it.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I dunno... I think it looks cool, all racked and stuff. :D then you've got the constant blinking lights of the RMX and stuff like that.... instead of "Ampeg, Ampeg, Ampeg, Ampeg"

But... yeah. It's cheaper and you could quite possibly get a better tone, with the better preamp and all.

Weight... your looking at 9lbs extra with that setup. But... come on.... if your gonna haul an 810hlf around, then what're you gonna complain about 9lbs for? :smug:

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Question:

I see you've got a 3Pro currently. Are you another member of "The SVT3-Pro needs more power!" club?

Cuz I mean... you could even use the 3Pro's preamp. I think it sounds quite impressive.

8. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    yes i am a part of that club. my band just recently got a 2nd guitarist so it makes me have to turn up alot more than i used to. i just love headroom i dont really like pushing my head almost to the max

i used to use the 3 as a preamp, but with the power amp i had with it, personally i wasnt happy with the tone (it sounds alot better running on its own) and it would shut down all the time. so i hooked that up to our PA. but im just looking to get an all new upgrade.

http://www.purevolume.com/fallprey

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Pretty sad story, if you ask me.... The 3Pro can put out some beautiful sounds. If it had an extra 200-400W of power, it would probably be a superior favorite to the 4Pro for live situations.

But... I still recommend the RMX1450 with a preamp of your choice. 1400W would go well with an 810hlf, I think... and you'd get preamp flexibility. Oh.... and its friggon cheap. :D

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Even with discounts Im sure that you could get the pre-power rig for less since those are both sold at GC.

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If you go the pre/power amp route, you may also wish to consider the Peavey PV series amps. They are equivalent to the RMX series(great amp) and have been priced so as to undercut the RMX line.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you're considering the QSC RMX 1450, take a look at the Behringer 1500. As near as I can tell they are the same amp and you can buy the Behringer for $300 from just about anyone.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They are the same amp, buts thats anoher thread.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I also recommend a tube preamp/power amp rack system for it's flexibilty. I use a QSC PLX-series amp with a tube pre. For rock gigs I use an SWR I.O.D. preamp, for everything else I use a Read Custom Purity preamp.

I've read some very good posts about the SVT-CL pre. Team one up with a good power amp and you'll be set for a long time IMO.

15. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

I'm using a 3Pro into an SVT 1540 cab through a SansAmp BDDI and I've got plenty of volume and headroom. I will admit the BDDI made a world of difference, but try tweaking the EQ a bit. Gotta say it though, if I could swing the 4Pro, I'd do it.

We've got an outdoor gig in September so I'll see then if I'm lacking for power. Anyone got a Mesa 18" cab for sell in the Houston area? :D