Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rising low

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Oct 12, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    So i was wondering how many of the bassist on the site have checked out mike gordons rising low documentary on the gov't mule deep end albums volumes 1 and 2. I'm opening this thread so you can share your likes dislikes and love for joey arkenstat.

By the way my absolute favorite parts on the tape are any time mike watt talks and Oteil doing amazing grace. and yes I've seen vic do amazing grace and Oteil blows him away in my opinion.

can't wait to hear what you have to say
    C-man (yes I know thats why it's funny)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I once saw Joey Arkenstat at a restaurant in Dallas. I approached him and asked for his autograph on a random piece of paper. He said "Thanks" and took the piece of paper and laid it on the table next to him as if I was giving it to him as some kind of gift. After kind of standing there awkwardly for a moment I said "Umm actually Mr. Arkenstat I was wondering if you could sign the paper for me." With a muttered "Oh." he picked up a handful of mashed potatoes, smeared it on the paper and handed it back to me. Then he said "Hold onto that, it'll be worth something some day."

He's just as strange in person as he was in the movie.

brad cook

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, I really enjoyed watching Rising Low although I feel Gordon's filmmaking skills leave something to be desired. I enjoyed some of the creative bits though. When he was playing the tunes on the ladder and the walls and stuff it kinda reminded me of Sesame Street (I mean that in a good way). He should go on Sesame Street as a guest.

I was particularly enjoying Me'shell's playing on the DVD. She grooves. Other highlights were Mike Watt saying anything, O'teil's Amazing Grace, Larry Graham as always, Rocco Prestia and Alphonso Johnson.

I thought all the "aura" and "shakra" talk was pretty fruity. Was that supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not? I'm not sure. Overall a good DVD though and I think most bassists who enjoy a variety of bass styles will enjoy it. Lots of bass heroes here.

brad cook

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    See, now I thought Larry Grahm's piece on rising low was very painful to watch and extremely annoying. That whole feedback bit, I thought, didn't capture at all what he is capable of.

Again, I have to give a nod to Otiel he was great. I also enjoyed watching Phil Lesh and Chris Squire, who'd Ric sounded increible.

5. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I thought larry was fun. Doin his hendrix thing I was laughin at him. Fun stuff. I enjoyed just about everything especially oteil and especially meshell

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I enjoyed Larry's thing because we always see him doing the slap thing. I've seen him do his slap thing over and over again...until this video though I'd never seen him doing the crazy, phased, feedback thing.

brad cook

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really enjoyed it alot! I wonder who was really playing the bass during the Joey Arkenstadt piece.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    SHHHHH! ;)

brad cook

9. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I really enjoyed the Mike Gordon And His Sophomoric Humor Show.. er... I mean, Rising Low. I even listened to the director's talkover, to see if there was some reason there was so much of him instead of more footage of other bass players. There wasn't, as far as I could tell. But hey, I'm a bass player, and I guess the other stuff was there to make the movie interesting to non-bass-players.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok i'll admit it i have NO CLUE who joey arkenstat is...... the only thing that makes me think it was a joke is because in the special scenes flea is talkin about how he was trippin on lsd and laid a huge turd on his floor..... someone let me in on this joke.

11. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Joey Arkanstat is a very very good bass player or else they wouldn't have mentioned him I'm sure :)

and Mike Watts perenium exploded. We can discount bass players just because of weird things that happen to them :)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's just a joke! Look at his fingers during his in the studio part.....it looks like he never held a bass before.....sounds like Flea playing his part, or maybe Mechell. After watching the DVD a few times.....the joke is a waste of tape that they could have used interviewing somebody legit:(

13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I disagree. I like the joke because thats what most bass players sound like when they get all philosophical on music to me. I was watching it with danny mo and rich appleman here at school and we were losing it because we had found each other saying things like that to people trying to be serious!!! I like that the video is light hearted. My favorite part is that no matter what their talking about there is a good humor approach to it.

and now a suggestion for all of you who post here to go see "standing in the shadows of motown" another very well done documentary

14. Besides Joey, Allan is the only bass player on the disk that I have never really heard.

I think it is a great movie, if Mike Gordon got someone else to play his part I probally would enjoy it more. He is a little to flowery for me.

15. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    This might be a stretch, but would anyone be able to post a vidcap of Joey Arkenstat? I'd do it myself but I don't have a DVD drive on my computer.

Thanks in advance.

16. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    Mike Gordon did an amazing job of captivating the day in the life of a bassist. I especially enjoyed the part were he uses the ladder rungs diatonicly to emphasize the bassists stylistic endeavours. Never question the mystery behind Joey Arkenstat:D

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I've enjoyed the parts I've seen so far but I do agree that Mr. Gordon's approach leaves a little to be desired. I also picked up the the 1st Deep End album which is very good. I'm looking forward to finishing the DVD.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I finally got around to buying this for myself...
    ;)
    There are a couple of other threads here at TB with Rising Low in the title...I picked this one 'cause it-
    1)Had the most replies
    2)Explains who Joey Arkenstat was(I had a feeling I was being had).
    Nice angular playing whoever it was.
    ;)

Highlights for me-
    Meshell's groove
    Alphonso on the EUB
    Oteil's solo piece
    Seeing Willie Weeks & George Porter, Jr. play.

All in all, I think Gordon did a fine job. Very enjoyable 90 minutes or so.
    I need to get on the bonus material...so far, I've only checked out Alphonso's comments. Very cool.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "I'm playing in the moment, baby...I'm just not in the moment that's happening"-
    Joey Arkenstat

...genius.