Risks Of Playing For "Shady" People?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invisiman, Dec 7, 2004.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    With new years coming up, my band has been approached by a shady fellow, who dabbles in illegal trading, if you will. Now, as our band is just starting out, we are generally happy to get any chance to play out, but this has me very, very worried.

I guess a more specific questions would be 1) What sort of legal risks are there in playing at a private party where drinking is going on? (We're [the band] under age, but our corwd would be adults).

Any and all help is appreciated :bassist:
  2. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    ever hear of the fable with the scorpion and the frog? Don't make good deals with bad people.
  3. Yeah, stay out of there. I know sometimes bands are eager to get gigs or play anywhere, but you have to watch out. Either that or have a really awesome contract.

Note: if your drummer is the large, strong, dumb kind of drummer (there's more than just this kind of drummer!?) you can bypass contracts altogether.
  4. I don't think there is any legal risk on your part.

1. It's a private party, I'm assuming on private property - this leaves the host liable for just about everything.
    2. If you underagers don't drink it's a non-issue anyway.

I wouldn't be *too* concerned with the shady character... this industry is rather full of them. In my experience with these 'illegal traders', expect things to be less organized than you'd want but don't worry too much about not being paid.
  5. The drummer in my band is actually is actually pretty small (and studies law) but he sure beats crap out of his drums. lol (when i think about it everyone in my band except me is small i'm the only one over 5'10")

Oh, and inivsiman, sounds like a bad idea...
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's definitely worth being cautious. For example, there are probably going to be all sorts of temptations at the party - if you're invited to down a few drinks, are you sure that you and all the band will say no?

Also, if the host is known by you to be a bit "shady", it's likely that a lot of his associates will also fall into the same category and that, in turn, makes it more likely that it's the kind of party the police might keep a close eye on and want to bust even if they catch sight of anything dodgy.

Finally, just think about how many movies start with someone at a party seeing something they shouldn't and ending up spending the rest of the movie being chased by gangsters! Of course, films are only made about the ones who get away, not the ones who end up swimming with the fishes.... ;)

7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    *LOL* good one and true!

1. If a deal smells rotten, it PROBABLY is!

2. If the deal is with a "scorpion" you'll PROBABLY get stung

when you add 1+2 the probability of PROBABLY goes up exponentially
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    We all run the daily risk of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, so there's no need to increase the odds in favor of wrong place/time.
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You've been watching too many CSI re-runs ;) .

Uh oh, how did I know that? I guess I have too :oops: :D .
  10. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    haha actually no, I heard about it cause theres a song about it on the recently released megadeth CD. ;) :p

although i do like when spike does a full day of CSI, really cuts into my studying though.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shady people? You mean like ... bar managers?
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Just be very clear UP FRONT with the "Mr. Shady" and your band what is going to happen.

Make sure you get a commitement from "Mr. Shady" BEFORE THE GIG to pay you for your services. And do what you're supposed to do: Competently perform songs thru-out the night, say; "Happy New Year!" at the appropriate time. And designate a time that the band is done. Pack up and go home.

Make sure you have a designated driver, or commit to not indulging in adult beverages and be as professional as you can.
  13. Shady like, weapons might be drawn, that's too shady. Otherwise, it's probably good experience.
  14. Cash up front!!

Do the gig!

Stay out of trouble!

Get outta there!
  15. it is all a question of your and your bands will power.

get paid if not 3/4's paid first and do not spend a dime until after the gig and then thank them for the experience