Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ristola basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ttyR2, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    So tell me about Ristola basses. Good for a variety of musical styles?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Ha...Ha... That striped one is MINE!!!!!
    Brian's basses are some of the best built, best sounding basses on the "custom" market. His attention to detail is FLAWLESS!
    Seeing that those pics are from my site, you may know that I'm the sole dealer for his basses.
    I've never even had to do a truss rod adjustment on anything he's built. His necks are very thin and comfortable, and they never move. All of his neck blanks are rough carved, and then aged, to make sure they are stable.
    One of the best things about Brian is that he's not rushing basses out the door to pay bills. His production is VERY limited. Last year he built about 12 basses total. He will be ramping up in the coming year, but he plans to continue to do it all himself.
    This past year we introduced his "Professional Series". These basses have his standard body shape(not the Brooklyn scroll) in alder or ash, a maple neck with Pau Ferro or maple board, and a painted(polyester) finish, done by one of the industry's best painters.
    If you want to email Brian or give me a buzz, I can give you all the info you'll need.
    Corey

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Brian makes a great bass. I've seen them since his first one and they just keep getting better. I can't wait to see his newest bunch. They play sooooooo nicely and they sound great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Brian's work to anyone. I know that there's someone here at talkbass with two of his basses. He has nothing but compliments to say. Oh yeah, have you seen his prices???? I'm talkin GREAT deal.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    YAY!

I have 2 of his basses, the fretless 4 pictured on Corey's site and a 5 string, early Professional series I believe. Both are tremendous instruments. I really can't say enough good things. I like a Jazz style neck on the thin side, Brian's are absolutely perfect for me. The 5 plays easier than some 4s. Both are really fun to play, great sounding and great to look at too. I think I really nice bass is a work of art, in terms of how it plays and sounds but also in appearance. The level of detail is amazing. It shows more on the fretless, since my 5 is painted, but the 5 has such a killer maple board. If you get the chance to try one out, do so. I've only been to Rockcity twice, but each time I've tried out a Ristola and been unable to put it down, so I ended up buying them. Brian's great to deal with too, I've emailed him for info on my basses. Neither of mine were custom orders, but they're so perfect sounding I decided to get them instead of custom ordering.

Mine and others I've played are much more versatile instruments than I am a player. Messing with the 3 band EQ and pickup balance on the fretless gets anything from a boomy old classic rock tone, to a nasally tone, to even a passable imitation of a fretted. The 5 has simpler controls, but is just as flexible. For custom orders, there are a ton of options if you really know exactly what you want.