Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ristola Instruments Professional Series basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emjazz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I finally got to head down to RockCity Guitars in Somerville, Mass to check out my friend Brian Ristola's new Professional series 5 string that he just made. I became interested in it when I saw the one he has at Gguitars on their site. The one at Rockcity is a 5 string with a Swampash blueburst body, maple neck and fingerboard bolt-on with bartolini jazz pickups and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp.

Well, let me tell you.........I'm floored. This is not because I'm his friend. I'm brutally honest and I've not liked all of his basses in the past but he's hit a home run with this one. I've played many Sadowsky's, Lull's, Fender's and any other suped up jazz style bass you can think of. I'd take this one hand's down over any of them I've played. Listen, I've got nothing to gain here. I love Brian to death. He's the nicest guy you could want to meet. The fact is that this bass took me by surprise. It's a 34" scale bass that plays incredibly well and sounds gigantic. I personally like the fact that the body isn't a jazz clone. It's his standard body shape that's been painted by Pat Wilkins with an incredible blue burst. I'll attach a pic of the body. The neck is between a jazz and a Precision. Very comfy. The frets are flawless and the playability is wonderfull. This bass would fit in a mix effortlessly. With a turn of the treble it can cut through as well. It's really one of those magical basses that you don't get to play enough of. Anyway, I'm very glad to see my friend coming into his own as a builder and I wanted to let you all know about someone else out there who offers an incredible instrument at an unbeatable price. Want a handmade bass that will sound bigger than a Sadowsky with a more modern look at the price of a metro? Now you know where to find one. The Sadowsky killer! :bag: ;)

That's what came to mind when I played it is all......... :bassist:

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's the bass that made me want to seek one of these babys out. This one's at Gguitars.

Brian's website: www.ristolainstruments.com

3. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    those basses are nice and RockCity guitars is the store for bass gear ...I think all the people that work there are bass players!!

and the store reflects is bass gear galor!! :hyper:

4. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    HE'S BASHING SADOWSKYS! HE'S BASHING SADOWSKYS! SIC EM! SIC EM!

Alan

P.S. Of course, I'm not serious. But hope most here get it!

P.S.S. I'M NOT BASHING SADOWSKYS! I'M NOT BASHING SADOWSKYS!

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    VERY nice! The ONLY thing I don't like is the control layout. It takes away from the body & beauty of the wood/finish...

~S~

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, not my preference but that's why there's custom orders. :D

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Here's another nice one...!

[​IMG]

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the look of that bass! :bassist:

9. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway

nice finish!! gotta love a bass with barts! :smug:

10. Andy,
    You've got me GASsing for another builder of basses!!! First Carey Nordstrand, now this guy!!

Actually, I've talked with Brian about preamps before, but didn't realize his recent progress as a builder.

I LOVE the look of this one!

http://www.gguitars.com/ris41001.html

:eek: :eek:

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If I was going to order something right now it would be from Brian. Check his price list. He's a straight cat...no $100 upcharge for gold hardware. All his options are what it would cost him. Very straight up. I like it.

W

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just got to play the blueburst one again the other day..........Oh s*#t that is one badass bass! A local mutha of a player (Webster) is dying to pick it up and I hope that he does. He'd play it like noone else's business.

13. Andy,
    I'm a little unclear. The Rock City website shows that bass as sold. Are you referring to another?

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Naaaaaa......... ;)

I love those guys buy they never keep up with their site. They just don't ever get much business from it so there's really not much need to.

Anyway, the one that's sold was the first professional series bass. It was black and a T'ber actually bought it after walking in the shop and playing it. He'll probably chime in. He still loves that bass.

The blueburst one's still there.

15. Andy,
    Check your PM

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yep. The 'board is my favorite ever. I've been staying away
    from this thread and any that mention the "S-word" after the
    implosion of the last thread on this topic, but the bass loves
    having its picture posted. I'm waiting on the money from the
    sale of an amp right now, when it comes in I'd like to get an
    active/passive switch put in, that's the only thing I'd change.
    Contacted Brian about it, he's great to deal with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey, there you are........ :D

Yeah, sorry about the Sadowsky business the last time I posted. I wasn't out to put any other product down or make anyone mad.

Anyway, you don't happen to have a sound clip of your bass do ya???

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    This one is giving me GAS. It just looks *right*. I don't see many instruments that push my buttons, but this is one. I just love it.

[​IMG]

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man Will, that's a great looking bass. A couple of Nordie duals should do it huh will? ;)

Oh, and I LOVE the new Miles quote :D .........because it's so true.

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Andy, those are the Bart P2's right? I think the Nordy duals are designed to drop into those routs. (Swoons) I've got enough new toys, but I would definitely like to take that one for a spin. I wonder what kind of fingerboard he's tossing on it.

Yeah, I was hunting for a good new Miles quote, and this one seemed to stick out at me. :p I don't think I like it as much as the old one though. That one was pretty hilarious.