1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ritchie Blackmore Birthday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DinoRock, Apr 14, 2015.

1. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Happy 70th to Ritchie! An excellent day to play some serious Deep Purple and Rainbow. Crank it up !!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    smiley-music034.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Favorite Ritchie albums:
    In Rock
    Fireball
    Machine Head
    Made in Japan
    Who Do We Think We Are?
    Burn
    Live in Europe
    Rainbow Rising
    Rainbow On Stage

The Deep Purple performance at the California Jam in '74 was great when Ritchie destroyed his Strat over the TV camera, threw it out in the crowd, set his Marshall stack on fire and threw it off the stage.

Just another day at the office for the guy.

JMacBass65 and DinoRock like this.
  4. My favourite bit of the CalJam set is the intro to Mistreated. That's a monster of a tone.

JMacBass65 and tangentmusic like this.
  5. In honor of Ritchie, do something rude to someone today.

:rolleyes:

caligula likes this.
  6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I always loved this quote.

"I'm not ***ing on Rainbow. I'm not ***ing on Deep Purple. But I'll **** on ****ing Radiohead, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in."

Billy Corgan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Gluvhand, Rocker949 and DinoRock like this.
  7. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Hmmm...I like some of the Purple stuff (and think Blackmore is an amazing player) and I love RadioHead. Where does that leave me?
    Personally, I don't understand calling one musician more valuable than another.
    Blackmore played his butt off but, in my opinion, was also a great rhythm player who let Lord kick it while he laid back.
    Greenwood is not a solo player but his "pomposity" helps create wonderful dreamscapes that allow Yorke to weave magical spells over the audience.
    Music is about the music.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Sorry, but I'm going to RSVP "no" for the birthday party. I've walked out on very few concerts in my life; Rainbow was the first. Every time I looked at him I was sure I could hear him screaming, "Look at me and bask in my awesomeness. I'm a god!" I found it so off-putting I left halfway through the show.

9. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Yeah, I always thought it a shame that his public persona was radically different from his away-from-music personality. IMO, he often doesn't get the credit he deserves as a guitarist because of that. It's a shame. Hopefully, he'll go back out with JLT later this year or next year and have some fun. We'll see...