Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rite of Strings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by mcbosler, Jan 24, 2003.

1. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Any of you ever hear Rite of Strings with Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola, and Jean Luc Ponty? Found it used at a cd world in Addison today. EVERYBODY needs to hear this album. Completely acoustic, Clarke plays standup on every song and has completely blown me away with his comping, soloing, and especially his tone. These 3 were MEANT to play together; all the holes are filled in perfectly. Not a dull moment on the entire album! Check it out as soon as possible if you haven't already!

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    If I'm not mistaken, SC started out playing classical on the standup. Didn't he play in some kind of youth orchestra in Philadelphia?

They filled in all the holes? Sounds like over-playing to me.

(Just jokin', I'll keep an ear out for it...)

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Not sure, but wouldn't be suprised; all the other albums I've got with him (mostly solo albums) feature him slapping electric on all but 1 or 2 songs. What really gets me about this recording (aside from how tasteful his lines seem to me) is the tone of the db. It's the sound I've had in my head - you know; the whole "what it's supposed to sound like" thing that people love to argue about.

4. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    SC played on a classic (jazz )album from around 1980 called "Light as a Feather" by a group called Return to Forever.He played all acoustic on this album."Spain" is probably the most well-known tune on this.He also put out what might be his first solo record around this time.it has "Bass Folk Song" on
    it,which is a really cool tune.I'll post the title if I can remember it.I'm sure somebody knows.

5. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I looked up Bass Folk Song. The album's called Children of Forever.

6. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'd date "Light As A Feather" from about 1975 or so, maybe earlier. All-Music Guide will have the facts.

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Stan's acoustic playing is a continuing inspriation, and Light as a Feather is a landmark. IMO it is impossible for bassists to play double-time latin without either referring to or reacting to Stan's playing on that album and its predecessor, Return to Forever. And he was, like, 20 at the time!

McB, if it's Stan and Ponty that lights you up in particular, scope Armando's Rhumba on Chick Corea's My Spanish Heart. You might also want to take a listen to Song to John on Stan's second solo record. It's a tidy little acoustic trio of Chick, Stan and John McLaughlin. Nobody with chops, eh?

8. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Thanks for those suggestions. It's definately the fact that they pull off a beautifully done album while still making it a chop-fest that caught my attention on this particular album. Any others I should know about?

9. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    MCBolster...Addison, new york?

10. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Sorry bout that - Addison, TX. It's just north of Dallas, and is a good hot spot to visit for upscale restaraunts and jazz clubs, should you ever be in the area.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I love Stanley's tone on this album, but DiMeola and Ponty unfortunately weren't recorded so well: they sound like crap. Also, Stanley's playing so hard at the end of "Cancion de Sofia" that he's pulling the strings sharp.

Just my nitpicks.

12. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    all just a matter of opinion, i suppose.

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm revising my comments (not that anybody but me cares) to remove any hint of disparagement of other posters. Here goes:

Stan sounds highly magnetic at times. On the first tune, he was slappin' and poppin' the DB and it sounds like he's playing fretless electric. When he digs in, it's the stuff, but sometimes, the action is just too low to make that beautiful bass sound.

Do I sound like a curmudgeon? Sorry! I learned to play listening to Stan's acoustic work. He's one of my inspirations. It's nice to hear him playing real in tune on this session. On this disc, as always, he does shtuff I'll never approach. But it didn't light me up like Light as a Feather does.

14. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Samuel, I was a 14 year old kid who liked swing and bossa nova. Then I saw Return To Forever on a PBS thing ('74, '75, something like that.) That 1 hour TV concert changed my life.

Can't say with honesty that I dig that old RTF stuff as much now as I did then, but I wore that orange album out. Literally wore it out.

15. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    The Rite of Strings is one of my favorite all-around records of all time. I periodically check around for follow-up's to that CD...

Sam - I believe Song to John is on that ROS CD.

Does anyone know if this trio has any other recordings?

-erik