Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ritter bass? is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danielj, Jul 24, 2004.

1. danielj

danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    i saw in a magazine a ritter bass and saw the price of 10k. i went online and found out he makes them, he custom builds them and they can get really expensive. has any1 else checked this out? do u think its worth the 10k you would be dishing out for it or not. :bassist:

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've played a Ritter bass before and found it to be an excellent instrument. whether they are "worth it" to you depends on you (i.e how it feels to you). There are no "bests", I don't believe, there are a certain number of luthier who are at or near the very top of the heap (Carl Thompson, Ken Smith, Fodera, Alembic, Mark Browne, Sadowsky and many more--- *personally I'd put Eshenbaugh among those greats, too*) and Ritter is definitely one of them. they certainly are fantastic basses

I have always thought that if I was going to spend upwards of $4500-$6000 on a new bass I would fly to where the bass is being sold, get a hotel room for a night or two and take the opportunity to try it out in person before I buy

I have seen used Ritter basses for $2500 by the way...last I checked there was a used Ritter 5 string for $2500 at The Low End in Memphis www.thelowend.net

3. How good is the gig you have that would justify owning one?

Are the other musicians you play with that discerning that they insist that you bring a Ritter to the gig?

Are there any other high end, precision craft, quality builders that would build you a dream bass for less?

Do you commute to work in a Lotus?

Some would pay millions of dollars to have Elvis' handkerchief -- would you?

I'm positive Mr. Ritter makes incredible instruments.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Judging by the consistent sales of his basses and the rarity of them on the used market, they are most likely worth it to whoever chooses to buy one.

5. yep, its kind of like custom motorcycles... the laws of supply and demand come in and you really have to do your homework before making a purchase... to spend that much on a bass id have to be a lot better than i am and id have to be local to ritters shop or a dealer so that i could go back a few times and really get a feel for how much i liked the bass

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sung to the tune of labamba:

"la la la la la Subjective."

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    As far as I can tell, Ritter basses are like art you can play with. Ten grand is not outrageous for a fine sculpture that just sits there, is it?

8. :D :D

9. Subjective, definitely. I don't know if they're WORTH 10,000 in terms of what they're made of and whatever (probably not, considering it's wood, metal, and electronics), but people are willing to pay that much and so they can be considered worth the price. Can you get a bass as good for less? Probably. Do the materials of the bass and the construction add up to 10,000$? Probably not. Is it worth it? You decide.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've seen alot of Ritter basses selling brand new for $4500-$5500 as a street price. they aren't all $10,000

personally if I was going to spend $5000 on a brand new bass, I'd get a Carl Thompson, but thats just me

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I haven't had the luxury of playing one, but here's a <a href="http://www.bassplayer.com/archive/0604/0604_Soundroom3.htm">review</a> in BASSPLAYER.
    IMO, they're worthit :D I saw one on ebay going for about $2700 if I'm not mistaken. It was a Roya in late lounge finish... mmmmm.... :D

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played a few Ritters...interesting instruments. I wouldn't say the playability was better than any other top knotch instruments but the tone was pretty unique. The best way I could describe it was "smooth" and "mushy". Some guys that were checking it out with me loved it but it was not something I would have gone for at even half the price (I think it was like 6 or 7k street). However, if the Ritter sound is something you're going after I don't know where else you would find it really.

13. If I ever go to spend $10k on a single bass, please slap me upside the head and keep the change.

But I think those basses are works of art and beautiful.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The trouble with most custom made basses, is they depreciate
    to some degree.
    Pay $2000.00 for bass, sell for maybe $1200.00-$1400.00.
    Do not hold there value?

15. danielj

danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    ok ty very much. this has been very helpful. and what about the wammy bar has any1 else used it for a bass? its a little unheard of for me... but i havent played one but i would like to someday. as for now im looking at the warwick thumb :) .

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Les Claypool uses his whammy on his 4 string Carl Thompson quite a bit. I may be mistaken, but I think also his whammy only covers the bottom two strings in a split bridge.

17. danielj

danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    thats a cool looking bass. he does make awesome ones.

18. Hey 6-String,

I saw that bass at NAMM in Nashville yesterday. OMG!!!!
    (Actually, on closer inspection, it's similar but not the same bass)

[​IMG]

I think the price on it was about $7700. Much too rich for my blood, but gorgeous nonetheless. Jens makes some of the most awesome-looking basses I've ever seen. I didn't play it....I didn't have the time and I was afraid to touch it at that price. :crying:

But 30 years ago when I started playing the bass, who would have believed that we would have even considered spending $1000 on a bass? Times change.

Randy

19. danielj

danielj

Jul 22, 2004
    man thats awesome! it looks reeeeeeeally good. :bassist: :)