Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ritter Basses Classic 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Bought an interesting bass last week from a seller on eBay, who also happens to post on Talkbass from time to time. Anyway, it's a Ritter Classic 5 string. Graphite neck, quilt mahogany body, and (perhaps most interesting), a velvet-covered fretboard. I'm not too clear on what the velvet is for, but the seller said that it's supposed to make the graphite a little less bright. Seems to make sense to me.

Well, the bass showed up today and I have to say I'm very impressed. There was kind of a strange issue with the nut--some fret buzz in open position--and I was worried since the graphite neck has no truss rod, but I installed a set of "my" DR Lo-Riders and the buzz went away. FedEx came a little late and I was on my way to rehearsal when they delivered it (I risked being late in order to install the strings), so I brought it and a backup in case it didn't work out.

No need for the backup. I haven't had a graphite neck bass since my Modulus Quantum 5 awhile back, and I'd forgotten the even response that comes from a super rigid neck. This bass has "Rough Crystal" pickups, which I've never heard of, but they sound great. I can't really feel the difference between the velvet fretboard and my typical maple or rosewood--I guess my fingertips are too destroyed to feel anything. And the bass is a little weird-looking (I bet that some people really hate how it looks), but my ears love it!

I'll post some more thoughts in this thread as I get to know the bass better. Meanwhile, here's some assorted pictures of stuff, including the Ritter:
    Assorted pictures of stuff
    [​IMG]
    (Who knew that guy from Three's Company would be such a great bass builder?)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO!:D

Seriously, if she plays and sounds as good as she looks, I'll bet some other basses are headed out the door.

First time I have ever seen quilted mahogany, nice looking stuff!:cool:

3. That's nice, how much did you get it for? I know G guitars sells a couple of Ritter bass, I think the body shape is an acquired taste, but I like it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It was a better deal than GGuitars;)

5. Yeah, a little less than the gguitars one. This alien/fruit bass cost me $1750.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nice deal on a very interesting bass. So is the velvet actually fabric?

7. Yeah, it's fabric. It looks to be glued onto there. I'm not sure what's underneath--I figure I'll email John Ritter about it. Hope he's not too busy with his acting gigs....

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You sure it's not Tex Ritter... or maybe Thelma Ritter:eek:

Actually Jens is looking for more US dealers. Won't happen here in the DC area, a more non-adventurous group of stores could not be found.

"Hey, what are they selling? Let's sell that, too".

9. Before I got my first bass (in 1968), I used to play bass notes on a Fender Mustang guitar. Funny thing about the velvet!!
    There was this wierd guy that had a business called "Velvetex". I wanted my guitar done over in it.
    He covered it in pink & purple (different parts of guitar). It was wild!!
    The process was done by positive charging the piece and an epoxy coating. He somehow had it in a chamber with negative charged fibers (about 1/8" long). The fivers were attracted to the parts, and when the epoxy hardened, Vouala', a velvet covered guitar. I thing the pink neck got a little dirty from playing. It, and a Hofner Beatle Bass got traded in for a pre CBS P-Bass.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ...is it normal to wish death upon someone for jealousy? :D

Seriously, I LOVE that bass! I've been wondering how they were; I love the shape. The Brubaker, the Roscoe, and now this?! I hate you!!! :D

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Don't forget... he has an MTD 535 too, Angus.

12. looks beautiful... i officialy envy your bass collection now... congradulations... you never fail to bring me more gas.

Am i the only one who thinks that the body shape seems slightly Carl Thompson influenced?

p.s. Hows the 7(!) bolt neck w/ stability?

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yep, there's a CT vibe there... and it does need at least two more screws.

;)

14. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i like the bass, too.

the rough crystals are from a german company called LeFay, and they're indeed very good.

15. I think the bass looks great! It looks like one G Guitars had about a year ago. I had emailed them about it and the owner had said it was a great instrument.

Congrats!
    Jeff

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I didn't forget, I just don't...need...one as much. :p :D

17. That is a sweet bass. It will match your others well. You are the reference point for chronic GAS.

Geoff

18. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Funky,

I'm glad you are enjoying the bass. Sorry about FedEx, they were supposed to leave it without a sig., but at the first delivery attempt I guess they didn't want to - check the tracking on their site.

As for the design, I like it as I'm a big Carl Thompson fan. It's my fiancee who really digs that bass and is still kicking me for selling it. But, with the pieces I've gotten, and will be getting from Darrin Huff, there just wasn't room on the wall, or in the wallet.

Thanks again,

mr. zero

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  20. Hey Mr. Zero--thanks for selling me this bass! I hope you enjoy your new one from dhuffguitars.

As for the looks, my best lady friend said it's "cute," so I guess it passed the test!

More reports on this bass after I get back from the allergist.