Ritter Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Oct 17, 2004.

1. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey, have any of you guys ever played a ritter bass? i'd love to but i dont think there's any dealers in western canada, and i've heard they're great but i dont have an extra..what is it..10 grand? to spend on a bass, but i really love the finishes, looks and electronics on it :drool:
  2. Yeah I am in alberta too, in spruce grove (20) mins west of edmonton. It is going to be pretty rare to find a ritter up here. Even getting a zon is rare. Many people on here have played ritters, probably not many are from canada though :(
  3. ive played a ritter....but that was in NYC.... ill probably get killed for this, but it wasnt anything too special.
  4. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I've played quite a few Ritters, but never in a practice or gig scenario. More or less just spent some time with them in the shop. I really like them, my only problem was with the pickup size. That's more to do with my personal preference based on my own playing experiences rather than a legit criticism. I have never played one long enough to get a chance to get used to the feel of those giant humbuckers(or whatever they are). Every Ritter that I played with Bartolinis felt much more comfortable to me. I would love to get a chance to adjust to the pickups though! :smug: Unfortunately that isn't going to happen anytime soon :crying:
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jens is building a 7 string at the moment that i will be doing a review on after the namm show. i've been very impressed with all the ritters that i've played, in fact i'm sure a 7 string lies in my future eventually, when i get the dough for it.
  6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003

Ok jt, quick, legitimate question, not meant to be snide or anything, but when was the last time you bought a bass that wasn't a custom Conklin? Or even a Conklin for that matter...
  7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, it's been a long time. i bought a rickenbacker doubleneck about 12 years ago. all i've been buying for the past 11 years is conklins, though.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love the 4080's. :smug:
  9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Well holy crap. I'm impressed. Seriously.
  10. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    I am looking forward to your review :)
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh, well thank you. :)
  12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Anytime jt.
  13. I just played the Ritter that was reviewed in Bass Player magazine a couple issues ago. It looked unbelievable, almost too pretty. It sounded great too, although it seems like you could get a bass that sounds just as good for a lot less money. it just won't look as flashy. I was in a noisy room so it's hard to judge, but it seemed like the humbucker setting on the pickup sounded fuller, and better overall. I liked the passive sound, but it seemed to be much quiter than the flat active sound. Overall I'd say it had a great, detailed, full sound. It also played flawlessly, and was very comfortable.
  14. i havent played one, and i doubt it'll be along time before i do....geological location and all that jazz...hell ive played one 1 ZON and it was the first i ever saw....we're only just starting to get spectors here now :rollno: ..but i dont know what it is about ritters....kinda not attracted to the whole "look at me im extremely flashy" type character they seem to have..i still wouldnt mind trying one to see the hype of it..but i cant really picture me owning one....hell im gonna be skitsofrenic enough now doin pub gigs with my x-factor let along what something like a ritter or alembic would do to me
  15. whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    you know, I totally agree with B-monkey. I played one in nyc and it really wasnt great at all. Granted it was like walking into a ferrari dealer, there was some wow factor to seeing one "in the bark" (haha). But It didnt play well and the neck wasnt too comfortable, really it felt like a toy to me. The craftsmanship was top notch though, the pickups were ebony covered and it was so black and flawlessly grained that I didnt think it was wood. The sound was pretty sterile too so I dont think its really a functional instrument unless youre a super technical solo player. And as I recall, the most striking part of the whole event was that The guy in the store (rudy's) was a complete *******. I guess thats the worst part about being 20, bass shop elitists make it very difficult for me to drop 4 grand on a bass like I would have that day on a sweet pensa 5 they had. oh well...
  16. i had the same problem when i went to buy/put on lay by my first high quality bass...i said id like to try all your seccond hand basses in the 2-3 grand mark, and since i was only 17 at the time he was kinda like..pfft whatever, still got it all setup and i put one on layby that day.he was pretty shocked cos i did put down 1/4 of the total down in front of him there and then, oohh, and it was out of a G&L ASAT, 50th anneversary fender american deluxe jazz and my you know what......but it was a bit of a toss up, it was either 1 top quality or an ibanez musician and an ibanez steinberger copy for $1400aus for the 2....i stand by my decision
  17. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I tried this fretted 5-string Roya ( http://www.thebassgallery.com/ritter.html) a couple of weeks ago at the Bass Gallery in London. It's certainly to my mind the best bass I've ever tried. The quality of construction and finish is first-rate. It took a while for me to get used to the controls, but eventually I was able to get a large range of very usable sounds - the bass could do it ALL. If I ever have £2750 to spend on a bass, Ritter would almost certainly be at the top of my list.
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, sounds about right. Here in the LA area, the Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks has a couple of Ritters for sale, in the 5 to 6 grand range. They're nice instruments, definitely distinctive. Rumor has it that Jens is using the Plek computerized setup on all his basses.
  19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Juan at Basses Acoustic-Electric pulled all four of his Ritters out for me to melt over. I played only one. I find them to be the most incredible pieces of playable art that I have ever seen. My next bass will be a Ritter.