Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ritter basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ducaticarl, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    Has anyone out there played or own a Ritter bass....they look absolutely amazing and all the the reviews I have read give them all 10's...also is the price I saw on the web accurate $6000.00????

2. I have a feeling not many people have played them. PM Mikebass.... he spent some time with them at NAMM and was just blown away... and he rarely gets blown away. The looks of those basses are a little too 'far out' for me, but they look wonderfully made and very innovative.

3. they not just look amazing , they ARE amazing. :bassist:

Check out the link in my sig :)

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I own a Ritter Classic 5 (see my avatar picture and profile picture) and I've played several. They are amazing...if you search for thread titles with Ritter, you'll find my review. For me, I think they're the tops, but once you get to a certain level, it's all about personal preference. Quality is top notch all around. Feels great, sounds incredible. I've owned mine for a year, and it's never going anywhere.

In terms of prices, they start around $4K for a basic, no frills model, at least last time I checked (few months ago).

Marshall

5. I asked him about that. The cheapest Ritter you can get costs about 3000 € ( or 3500,3600 $ ? )

so i have to wait a few years :bawl:

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I got a price list from him, I was just too lazy to get the specific number.

I want to get a fretless to go with my fretted, but like you, I need to wait a bit. :(

But I will. :D

Marshall

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never had the pleasure of playing one myself, but I know a guy who has played several and calls them "The German Alembic". He owns an Alembic, so I guess that tells you something.

They look fantastic, and I'd bet they sound amazing too!

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Jens is a wonderful builder and awesome person. His basses are killer. Price wise, well like most things you get what you pay for. They do popup used (got one) every so often, but not a lot used out there. The price thing isn't all Jens fault though. He's prices are based off the Euro which changes in relation to the US dollar. 4 years ago it only tool 75 cents to buy 1 Euro dollar. So we could buy at very good prices. Now it take a $1.20 to buy 1 Euro dollar. So now it cost us a bit more.

Best with the hunt and saving's

9. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    thanks for the feedback....anyone know an online dealer ???

10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I would suggest going through a dealer.

Brian Barrett is one and he's great!

Juan at basses-electric-acoustic.com is another.

There are others, but I've had the most interaction with the two above, and reccomend both. There are some links at the ritter basses site for dealers.

Marshall

11. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I own a Ritter Roya 4 (see pic) which is my favorite instrument. Jens is, as I recall, an electrical engineer who got into building basses. He has rethought each component, and has used math modeling, contacted the academic community, and various other things to improve almost every aspect of the instrument.

For example, his electronics are a modification of the IC headphone amp that appeared in May 2003 'Audio Express', by Klaus Noll and uses AD744/AD811 line stage (op-amp + buffer) with Jung/Didden regulators. He had Klaus Noll customize it for his pickups which are also custom wound. The clarity of his electronics are better than anything out there (and actually make the instrument harder to play, because they are so responsive, though you can switch to passive mode to cut finger noise, etc.)

He math modelled the body as a pair of oscillators (neck-body) and decided bolt-on with a lot of bolts was the best of all configurations.

His body shapes are the result of lots of hand sanding that cuts their weight to an absolute minimum.

He knows materials perhaps as well as any luthier out there, and is willing to produce basses in plastic; metal plated; etc. in addition to woods.

His Swordsteel string steel is improved, with improved balance across all of the strings. String tension is different than other basses, and along with the PLEK treatment of the frets makes this the easiest instrument to play of all I have ever tried.

And the list goes on. Ritters are not just a piece of pretty hardwood glued to a standard body. There is really a lot of technology that underlies the whole instrument.

Attached Files:

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Will Jens send out a pricelist, or would it be better to contact Brian to get one?? I am still in the process of deciding on what my next bass will be, and am extremely interested in Ritters. Along with Nordstrands, Roscoes, and Jerzy Drozds. :)

13. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Jens doesn't have international price lists because of currency fluctuations and long lead time (at least this is what he has stated on his forum)

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    you just have to use a site like this one to get a US List price if you want to know how his Euro List price compares. But still go to a dealer to get the discounted price.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

15. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
  17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, now it's time to start doing some figuring and send an email off. Brian, since you handle both Ritter and Nordstrand, I hope you're ready to answer a few questions. ;)

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Ryan

I do not handle Nordstrand. I've had a couple come through and Carey is a wonderful guy, but I am not a dealer. Jay at BBH is a dealer for Nordstrand though.

I will be happy to help with anything I can,

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Oops, my bad. Well, I will still be emailing you shortly with a few Ritter questions, then.