Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ritter- Is it really necessary?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Feb 4, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do they really need to put 12 or more screws on to hold the neck!!

Someone explain this to me?

I borrowed the pic from the Low End. Let me know if you want it off TB. Nice bass by the way!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't need it, but it's one of Jens' trademarks, there has to be something extravagant about his basses, or else they wouldn't be Ritters.

Call it artistic freedom, if you will. ;)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe Jens wears a belt and suspenders/braces, too???

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey, it's a freaking ritter, WHY THE HECK NOT???

I love ritters, and i'm sure he has his reasons,,,
    God i want that bass on the front page of his website....

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, it doesn't negatively effect the way it plays or sounds. I thought that bass sounded great. I asked Brian the same question and he didn't know either. Jens is a strange dude. I really like his stuff!!

6. Well, why not put 10 bolts. I didn't really think that there was a lucky number. 3, 4, 6, 10... I don't think it matters if you use more. Judging by Jens' designs, it probably is an aesthetic thing anyway.

Is there some reason that this would have a detrimental effect on tone?

I would rather have 10 than 2.

Geoff

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

No problem, your welcome to it.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I only counted 10. :D
    And I say why the heck not?! It looks cool, and it's bound to be PLENTY stable, so as long as it works, right?

9. Jaco only needed 4 screws.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh,,*Shakes finger at spankbass* That was a good one mister.

11. The wood he uses is unruly. If he didn't bolt it down, it'd get up, kill your family and unlease a blight o'er the land.

This way, that sucker ain't going no where.

12. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    What keeps the unruly wood from killing Jens and his family before he bolts it down??

I don't know why he uses all those screws, but it is a very nice lookin' bass. Looks like Ritter is using the Plek system now. I wonder how well that works. Any one played one of the new ones? I played one a few years back. It played very well, but if he was using plek back then I didn't know about it.

I love my current bass and I was thinking about getting a second one just like it, but fretless. The Ritter is lookin' real good right now though. Does any one know how the fretless's sound? I'm kind of lookin' for a real woody tone, uprighty or swamp ashy. Is he producing more basses now than he used too? It used to be a year wait.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I wonder where the jupiter design came from???

14. He probably keeps it in a cage and charms it with a flute.

15. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Ooooh. Okay. Wait a minute, Jens plays flute??!??

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Does anybody have a link to his website?

17. Apparently Marcus only needs 3 on his
    and more surprisingly, Victor doesn't even have one ... :D

18. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Maybe this interview with jens (http://www.globalbass.com/archives/may2001/ritter_basses.htm) can bring some answers. This is the interesting part:

"We are all good friends, bass builders in Germany. They told me that they thought I was crazy for what I was doing. The design and the technique and details. For example I have a bass with an oval neck with 12 screws."

Wow, that is a LOT of screws!

"I tried taking off half of the screws but I found it is the best when there is the most number of screws in this area."

To conduct the vibrations?

"Yeah, that’s right."

Even more so than having a neck through body? Did you work with neck-throughs as well?

"I built them, but I don’t build them now. The thing is, you take the oscillation energy (between the nut and the bridge) and you divide it in the middle. That’s the job of the bolt-on construction. It divides that oscillation energy so you end up with faster attack and you have longer sustain."

So you are saying in summary that the strength of the bolt-on versus the neck through is that the bolts divide that oscillation energy in half, affecting the sound the string produces.

"We built these three instruments, the bolt on, the neck through and the glued, with exactly the same woods. With no electronics and no hardware, just the minimum of stuff."

"The first one we did was glued and it ended up in the garbage can! The thing is if you are a player that likes the old muffled sound, the bolt-on construction will not really do the job. So for that old muffled sound you need a lot of bad quality (he breaks into laughter here and has trouble composing himself for a few moments) But this is not a bad thing, if you like this sound. The most common kind of bass being sold here are for solo bassists. You need a transparent, dynamic and clear sound. I build these basses. If somebody wants that traditionally muffled cool sound then buy the Fender."