1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ritter Royals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trb6pJM2, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    They are works of art!

There is a good chance that value of those basses will go up over time. Not only are they probably a good investment, they are certainly pieces of which high end collectors can be very proud.

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Because some people like to have nice things in life.

3. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Nothing wrong with functional art.

4. You need look no further than the Robb Report crowd to see that there are plenty of wealthy trophy collectors with far more money than sense or taste. Ritter's real-world basses are nice, but when he starts covering them with tacky gold and gemstone gingerbread they quickly become downright vulgar.

5. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    IMHO, it is art.

In lesser hands, all that gold and diamonds could easily come out tacky - but he turns it into something that is beautiful.

Artists (and I consider Ritter an artist) need patrons, and I really don't care if it is wealthy pro bassists, wealthy amateur bassists, or wealthy non-bassists buying the basses - as long as they are enabling Ritter to develop and extend his bass-building talent, then they are OK with me.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I hate to answer your question with a question but, why not?? I think those instruments are worthy of the price no matter how you look at it. I probably wouldn't buy one even if i had that kind of cheddar to blow on a bass but i still think they are beautiful peices of art. And i think that is the key word here... "art". The black jupiter is unreal and gave me serious G.A.S. And that is rare for me lately.

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    its taking a bass and making it a functional piece of art. It wasnt intended for the average musician this was soley designed for the wealthy collector

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think I'd gas for one of those if I had an unimaginable amount of money in my bank account.

9. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Nor will you ever. Don't take it personally, lots of people will never get it. Taking the art of lutherie to new levels has not, does not and never will appeal to the masses. That's just the way it is.

10. I like them very much...I would never own one but I admire Ritter's work!!!

11. While I like the look of the stealthy black roya concept, there are a few things I'm not quite sure about with the way he builds.

A few basses say this " The entire Instrument is completely carved out of one piece of wood"
    How much is wasted from doing this?

Two or so also have this " The Nut is made of at least 10000 years old Mammoth Ivory"
    Shouldn't this stuff be in museums somewhere?

12. I disagree that these basses take "the art of lutherie to new levels." Based on the "Royals" I examined at '07 NAMM, their build quality is exactly the same as a standard Ritter bass. The difference is nothing but superficial decoration that in no way takes the instrument to any new level as an instrument. All it proves is that Jens is a jeweler as well as a luthier.

I think these vulgar trophies are aimed squarely at "the masses" taste-wise. Wealthy people with pedestrian tastes are legion. Speaking of the masses, the positive consensus in this thread is enough to prove my point.

13. You can buy knife handle slabs of fossil mammoth ivory at knife shows for around $100 give or take; enough to make half a dozen bass nuts.

14. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    To Debased: Well then, we'll just have to agree to disagree. The "superficial decoration" applies just the same to paints, dyes, gold vs. chrome, MOP inlays and anything else that contributes nothing to tone, but I don't see every instrument made today being stripped down to the absolute bare essentials for functioning as an instrument. Since Jens and his team have abilities both as luthiers and jewelers then there's nothing wrong with combining differing arts for a little embellishment. I don't know of any other builders combing those two. That's where I see the new level applying here. The fact that Ritters don't appeal to everyone, let alone the Royals, proves my point.

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Same way I don't get buying a Ferrari so you can sit in everyday traffic or risk really expensive speeding tickets. It's the same for a Honus Wagner trading card or rare wines.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That's the 100,000 dollar bass.

Who's that idiot who said he ordered it?
    haha anyone remember him?

17. its art, thats why.

is any of it really necessary?

18. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    While $100,000 might seem like a lot of money for a bass, my boss has just spent the same on a car... Nothing classic or anything like that just a functional modern vehicle that will get him from A to B. Given what happens to car values here in the UK it's already lost 1/3 of it's value the moment he drove it away from the dealership and with the kind of use it gets will continue to devalue day-to-day.

On the other hand the Ritter is a piece of functional playable art (whether you actually like it as a piece of art matters only to yourself) that is going to appreciate in value as time goes on. It functions as a musical instrument, a work of art and an investment.

I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of things that people spend that kind of money without much controversy that have much less worth in terms of aesthetics or resale value.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see that he's done that. People have been doing fancy inlay/gold leaf work for centuries.