Ritter VS Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovastic, Jul 8, 2005.

best custom

Poll closed Jul 15, 2005.
  1. Ritter

2. Nordstrand

1. groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    what are your cons and pros for these basses?
    why is one better than another?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Aesthetically i like the Ritters better.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you cannot go wrong with either... both are killer makers. Style wise, I prefer the Ritter
  4. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Me too, ive played ritters and they were just amazing.

I am yet to play a nordstrand, i will probably play one if i buy one :p
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I voted Nordstrand - nothing against Ritter, but a Nordstrand is my ultimate, ultimate gas. In fact I think I'm going to have one... off I go to Carey's site... drool...
  6. Nordstrands are cheaper than Ritter's. But Ritter's ARE awesome...

its tough
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I voted Nordstrand for the simple reason that they are a bit more on the "traditional" looking side.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ritters and the looks, heck one of my PC's desktop patterns is a collage of Ritters, but IMO when non-GAS hounds look at a Nordie and think "Wow that thing is unique and classy looking" and when they look at Ritters they thing "Wow, that thing looks weird, but cool."
  8. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Once you play a ritter you wont care what anything looks like ;)
  9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Aesthetics are a third of the game IMO.

Sound and Playability are the rest. Anyways.....

The one ritter I played sounded great, but was real heavy. Not the biggerst con in the world, but not up my alley either.

I think there are a couple of medium to light weighters out there, but my Nordstrand 6 is a pretty easy beast to deal with.

I liked the Ritter neck. I don't kow how much they vary. Carey's axes are custom orders, and he does a kick ass job of giving the customer what THEY ordered.

And of course, neither is really better.
  10. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Why are you asking about these two basses in particular? Are you considering specific models? (The "pros and cons" will be very different for a bolt-on 4 versus a single-cut neckthrough 7, for instance...)

And what makes you think that one would be "better" than the other?

12. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Yeah, so are Jens axes, his are fully custom orders.

He will do anything you want him to do that is in his capabilities. Which is pretty much anything.

Jens does a kick ass of giving his customers what they ordered too.
  13. groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    I was thinking of a bolt on or set neck 5.
    And by "better" I mean with better sound and better playability.
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I have limited experience with Nordstrand (I've only played one, and of course I've heard samples), but they sound different to me, not so much that one is way better. In terms of playability, I'd guess that they're equivalent. The one complaint of a Nordstrand I played was that the set up was too low - obviously, something that can be tweaked to my liking. Some people don't love the flatish board on Ritters, but it works for me. Both necks are nice...balance, weight similar, although Ritters are probably a bit more weight, but are definitely not uncomfortable.

Both great basses. I prefer Ritter (in terms of sound and aesthetic), but they're both great.

15. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    "Better" for both those things is very much a matter of personal preference, especially when you get to this caliber of intrument.

16. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have to go with Nordstrand because of their appearance. I'm not that into the Ritter look. IMO, the Ritter looks a little "space age". The Nordstrand has a more organic quality.

I've never played a Ritter or a Nordstrand. I'm sure the quality of both are absolutely amazing. I envy those of you that are lucky enough to own them.

17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not even sure if that's a fair question. Both basses are extremely well-built, and each builder's attention to detail is phenominal. But...they're completely diffferent basses crafted by two completely different people. It's almost like asking why a Bently is better than a Ferrari...they're both outstanding automobiles, but they're VERY different cars. ;)
  18. groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    And what I wanted to know was that Ferrari has a stronger and more respondive engine while Bentley can offer much more comfort.
    That's the type of answer I'm looking for.
  19. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Except that both makers offer a wide variety of options that can be taylored to what you're looking for, more or less. The kind of thing you're asking about seems to be stuff you could figure out simply looking at the specs and the photos...

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nordstrand. I've never played with either, but just going by what I know of them, I like the looks of Carey's more and I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to get one :)