Ritter - Yes or No? HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EBMatt, Mar 6, 2006.

1. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    So I went to G-guitars, a Ritter dealer in New Haven, CT., and tried out a Ritter Roya 5-string they had there. I think I fell in love. It sounded and played so amazing. Between the head which was an Eden WT800B, and that Ritter it was, IMO, the best bass tone I've heard in person. Now I can purchase the eden head, no problem. I can get the Ritter too, but the one catch is the only way I can get that Ritter is if I sell my 3 other basses. They are 2 FBB customs and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz. I don't mind parting with the Fender because those are a dime a dozen, but I have alot of trouble parting with my two FBB's. They were custom built for me and I got to personally pick out all the woods for them. But that Ritter was so amazing. I'm stuck. I need suggestions talkbassers. :meh:
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Matt, that's a tough call ..... I know you're an FBB fan (as I am!) and yeah, Ritters are just amazing :eek: I had the distinct pleasure of playing a couple of them for a brief time and they are beautiful basses .....

For me, as nice as they are/were, they just didn't do it for me. Sure, they're beautifully crafted and really unique, but I didn't care for the way the bass "fit" me. And as incredible as they are, the live sound wasn't really any different than my FBB is. Maybe that's because of the amps I use or the way I play, but none the less, there really wasn't any difference.

Just before I placed my current FBB 7 order I thought long and hard about Ritter, Jerzy Drozd and Conklin (custom, not GT). By the sheer grace of God, money wasn't an issue for me. As tempting as these other outstanding basses are, FBB is the bass I chose, it suits me and my playing perfectly.

You've got some very cool FBB's ..... you should try to spend a little time with that Ritter to see if it's worth the switch for you. Hey, it might just be the bass you've been searching for :bassist:
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I can't really help; it's such a personal decision.

I decided a while back that I didn't need a bunch of basses, and sold some stuff to get mine. It was the right choice for me, but I know others like to have different basses in their "stable". I like FBB's a lot, so I completely understand the hesitation. I also understand the feeling that Ritters are _it_...I still feel that way about mine.

I do suggest bargaining, shopping around, and even discussing ordering options with a sales rep. If you keep your options down, you can save a bundle. Believe it or not, used could also be an option if you're patient. Who knows, there might even be one popping up here on TB (not mine though!).

I've been keeping an eye on the Ritter market. I'm a bit busy this week, but feel free to PM me if you want to discuss things offline.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Like Marshall said, it's a tough decision. I did away with a small stable of basses to get mine. I don't regret it.
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Do any of your other basses sound as good? play as well? If the answer is no, the Ritter kills them all, then tell the other basses to write. See ya!

BTW G Guitars is great place.
  6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I'm not sure that I would sell 3 to get 1 unless I knew for sure that the one bass would meet all of my musical needs.

If you use a different bass for different situations you have to make sure that the Ritter will provide you with all of the different tones needed to suit the music.

If you can figure that one out, the question may be easier to answer.
  7. Man, life is short and if I had that kind of opportunity I would seize it.
  8. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Life is short but I still have alot of trouble parting with this....

and this

I don't care about the jazz bass, but those 2 FBB's are very hard to part with. On the other hand, I feel like the Ritter was exactly what I was looking for. But it's $4600.00

By the way thank you all for your suggestions, but I'm still stuck. :(
  9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    $4600 inst a bad price on a ritter.
    and if its going to change the way you feel about your bass sound and its really what you have been looking for.. well thats a tough on to put on the scales!
    (Most of us here who own them payed in the $5-6k+ range!

The ritter is a really well made instrument.
    and jens is a person I love to deal with, Hes a great guy and Hope to put a roya in my stable one day.
    Frosted blue with a frosted blue board w leds.
    juan had one like it but was asking like $7k+ for it!:eek:
    (I figured I'd get one made for a few thousand less.)
  10. Martin Motnik

Martin Motnik

Aug 9, 2005
    I play two Ritter Roya's, both 5-strings, one fretted and one fretless. They're both amazing, though it's the same model, they're both sounding totally different, and both sounding better than anything I ever played. 4600$ surely is some serious money, but I think it's worth it. Jens is a very nice guy and a very talented luthier, and you'll get life-long support - and that also means your life, which hopefully is longer than the life of the bass... ;-)
  11. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Wooooow! Those FBB's are beautiful!!! I don't know what that Ritter your checkin out looks like but I bet it would be hard to beat the looks of your two current bass. But when it comes to the sound, only you yourself can pick which one you like better. I have no doubt that this really is a tough decision. Is there any chance of selling the Fender and saving up more money and then buying the Ritter? That sure would be a good choice if you could.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Can we say "scrotum" in here?

Naw, naw, naw. They are top-rate basses but ... oh, never mind.
  13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Oh wow! Check out those FBB's!! No way would I part with those and a Fender American for a Ritter. Ritters are nice, but I can't see having only one bass in my collection... no matter how nice it is. I say stick with what you have and save up. I can see selling perhaps 1 or 2 of the basses... but not all 3.
  14. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh no you didn't! :D That's a new one to me, but I guess I can see the connection.

15. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ritters are rockin basses, and as I own one I definately think you should buy one as well and sell your FBB's... while your at it give me a good price on that 4 string :ninja:

No seriously if your someone who doesn't need three or four basses and this is your perfect bass, I say go for it! Having just sold a u.s. Spector and a Benny to buy a Ritter, I can say I'm probably going to be adding a few more basses back to the collection... when I get some money :bawl: I'm perfectly happy with my decision, and I dont think you would regret it either. It just comes down to, what do you really want?
  16. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Yea the 4-string is too beautiful. I don't know if I can part with it. Or the 6-string. I feel like I could get along just fine with the Ritter, but I would miss my two FBB's too much :(

I already talked to the guy selling that Ritter on ebay and he's not up for any trades. And I don't have $3000 laying around :bawl:

Something just came up though, so I may have a way to get the Ritter and keep my FBB's. God, I hope so. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help guys.:)
  17. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
  18. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    He's saying that it cost that new.

19. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    FYI a similar one just sold on eBay for about 4k, for anyone thats interested..