Rituals / string stretching

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AllodoX, Dec 31, 2001.

1. I have this ritual when it comes to new strings..
    I always take them out of the package, unroll them and hang them up in the closeth for about a week.
    I've discovered that this helps keeping the strings in tune longer. It removes extra stretch from the strings...

I was wondering.. does any of you have rituals too ? please share them :D
  2. i put them on, tune up, and play.
  3. i guess my comment spoke for everybody! :)
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    put them on, tune, play
  5. i usually pop them on, tune, stretch, tune stretch and final tune.

my bass stays in tune for an unbelievable amount of time so i'm not too fussy about stretching.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I put them on, tune up, snap them at the 12th fret, retune, and I'm set.
  7. I put them on, tune them ... stretch them abit .. tune them again and play ... I'm going to try Allodox his ritual though .. you never know !
  8. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i put on the strings, tune to GCFB (tuning up) and then let em sit for a little bit, then tune it to normal, its fine, the old strings though, i have found that for some reason my phycho friend remington REALLY likes them, have no reason why though.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    My strings only go out of tune when I, intentionally or by accident, turn the tuning gears. Should my strings go out of tune? Am I doing something wrong?
  10. i do the tuning up a step like downstairs it really helps my tuning problems
  11. On the back of DR's package, they advise against any aggresive stretching as they say it will reduce the life of the strings.
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Put 'em on, slap/pop more than usual, for the 2 following days, they usually stretch a lot, since I pop really hard. (So much that my finger sometimes feels limp, at the joint.)

Then, I just keep retuning, while they're stretching.
    I haven't really had many problems with strings stretching. The only times my bass goes out of tune is when I slap a lot, and in fall/spring, when the weather's changing.
  13. do you guys need to adjust the bridge or neck after putting a brand new set of strings?
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    No. Do you?
  15. I put them on, tune up, tug a bit, retune, tug a big, re-tune... but then, i'm normally good to go. After i find it stays in tune... it never goes back out.

I normally check all that stuff... but i'm yet to have to correct any of that... sometimes it will be a half turn or two for the intonation... but other than that... if i'm putting on identicle strings (except new), i dont need to make many if any adjustments at all.
  16. Sometimes I do a little on the bridge, a little forward or back.
  17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me Tooooo!!!!!:D