Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 19, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to see Riverdance. Now, I'm not usually one for dance, and I was not really looking forward to going. My girlfriend bought tickets in May and was really looking forward to going, so I was going to go, but wasn't planning on being happy about it.

I was quite surprised to find out that there was much more than dancing involved, and the dancing that I DID watch was very entertaining. I didn't quite understand the first act until I read the program and realized that they were telling various Irish folk tales and whatnot. The second act was a little more cohesive and easier to understand.

The musicianship was top-notch. The bass player was crammed to the side of the stage (the band plays far upstage, facing the audience) and was the only player without a chair, which I would like to think was because he didn't want one. The funniest part of the whole evening (to me, anyway) was the Uilleann Pipe solo, which was a very touching piece. But, the way he played it, with the droning synth pad in the background, I was waiting to hear Robert Plant sing "In the Evening"... I stifled a giggle. My girlfriend laughed out loud when I called the intermission "halftime" out of habit.

Overall it was a very entertaining evening. Not the cheapest, but well worth it since my girlfriend thouroughly enjoyed herself and I also had a great time. Be sure to catch it if it comes through town.

Anyone else seen Riverdance?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On TV, in surround sound.

I'm a sucker for a whole lotta people doing things sychronized to a beat. I.E. Tap Dancing or doing a show on Broadway, like Blast, or Blue Man Group.
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Haven't seen it live, but we have the soundtrack and watched the tv show. Live theater rocks. Especially with a good orchestra down in the pit.