Riverhead Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Are there any other Riverhead Jupiter players out there on TB?

The Jupiter seems to be a fairly rare and, certainly in my opinion, an underrated bass guitar – I have three of them.

Most folks know about Riverhead through the Unicorn and the Phantom headless designs, but not the Jupiter. The Jupiter could definitely be the love child of a Spector and Warwick. If you play one or have played one please add to the thread!

The Riverhead Jupiter basses were made in the late 80s by the Headway Co Ltd of Nagano Japan.

I got my first Riverhead Jupiter (a natural RJB-1300PJ) in 1988. I bought it new and was told at the time it was one of five ‘launch’ basses brought to the UK. It has a low serial number. Since then I have acquired two other Jupiter’s (an metallic gray RJB-1300PJ and a black RJB-1100PJ, which has had its pick-ups replaced). Judging by the serial numbers (>5000) these two are some of the last to be made. I am currently on the look out for additional machines, so if you know of any looking for a good home let me know!

I used to gig my natural Jupiter regularly but these days I use it only for recording and solo fun! It was always a conversation piece, particularly with its unusual headstock, which makes tuning very ergonomic. These days I have it strung 30 50 70 90: it's fast and funky! There is a difference of nearly 2lbs (10lbs vs 8lbs) between my natural Jupiter and the two late serial numbers. The build quality of the natural Jupiter is extremely good, some of the best I have seen in a non-custom bass.

DSC_2595.jpg
    DSC_2597.gif
    DSC_2600.gif
    DSC_2598.gif
    DSC_2599.gif
    DSC_2601_EDIT.jpg

2. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'm feeling lonely now! :rollno:

Am I really the only Jupiter owner here??

3. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Cool looking! I didn't know they made any non-headless designs. I have a Unicorn 4 string fretted.

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Hey, nice to see there are at least 2 Riverhead owners on TB!

I would have thought there might be more, but I guess I was wrong.

5. WHOA!! :eyebrow:

I never heard of them!! Made by the same folks that made my Bacchus Jazz :bassist:

Very cool!!!! Now I want one :cool:

6. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    The Bacchus Jazz is a great looking bass as well!

7. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    You own most of them ;)

Moon guitars had a store in Hollywood near BIT that closed in 1986. They had one when they closed down and were selling it for either 2 or 300 dollars. I really liked it and if I had the money back then I would have bought it.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  8. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Fair point!

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    There have been a couple of the bodied guitars on eBay of late, but alas no basses. Anyone out there no of any more Jupiters so that I can add to my three?

10. Hey there Thunderitter, Ive got one these. Also the original Unicorn as well. Purchased in 1987 and still used every gig. Haven't found anything that REALLY made me want to change.Mine is an unusual colour, Purple/greyish metallic. Changes colour depending on the lighting conditions.Will post a pic later when I've taken one!!!!
    Unlike yours mine has two straight bar pickups instead of the P/J setup yours have.
    I have posted a pic of mine elsewhere on this site but cant remember which thread. Was some time ago.

11. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Have seen these Jupiter basses on the net from time to time, but not very often. I have a Riverhead Steinberger copy myself, a great bass that I got for some pocket change. :) Great bass although it has seen some action and abuse.

12. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Hey, Gidday Mate! Nice to finally find a fellow Jupiter owner: I was thinking I was all alone here at TB! I used to live in Sydney so our basses were on the same continent once!

13. Can't believe you've got three of the Jupiters. I,ve only ever seen two other ones . One was played by the bassist in the Divinyls and the other was on a film clip. Like Mr Walker,my steinberger copy has done some hard yards and only gets used for rehearsal now.Apparently the Riverhead factory was destroyed by fire shortly after the Jupiter was released,so would account for the rarity. I've often told other players that if they can find a good one , buy it.Did you buy yours in Australia or overseas? I dont think many of them found their way here.A guitarist I worked with in 1987 owned a music shop and he bought mine in just to hang on the wall hoping to sell it. As soon as he plugged it in he called me and said he'd put it on my account and to collect it next practice. "really mate,it's that good!" he said. He was right!!!!!

Riverheads Rock!

ps: do you miss our Aussie beer?

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    They remind me of Spectors.

15. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yes to the both!

My 'blonde' Jupiter was purchased in the UK. The black and the silver ones were eBay purchases here in the US where I now live.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Headstock designed by M.C. Escher. :p Nice collection!

DSC_2600.jpg

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  17. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yeah, you have point there!

18. daftworks

daftworks

Nov 8, 2007
    Nice! That natural one is the dogz bollox! I have a metallic burgundy JBX1000 which I bought about 1987 or 88 from Jimmy Grant's shop in Edinburgh. Got it for half price in his closing down sale. Fantastic sounding thing - anything from a Fender 6 twang to pumping sub-bass!

Interesting to see all of your basses have different bridges. Mine has a similar bridge to your black one. and I would reckon it to be the only weak part. It's missing a few of the saddle locking screws and rattles a bit without them. Piss poor design if you ask me, but it's the only real disappointment.

As I remember, there was a choice between PJ and JJ pup configuration, and also between slot and non-slot headers.

Guess that makes me owner number 3 - how cool is that?Here's a couple of piccies of mine.

Attached Files:

19. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Slow in picking your post up daftworks but welcome to the TB Riverhead Jupiter Owners club!

With only three members I don't think we need numbers!

20. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Picture012.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021