Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rivers Cuomo of Weezer -- "What's up with this guy!?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    In a recent Guitar World interview, Rivers Cuomo talks about the fact that he never meets his (or Weezer's) fans. Here's an excerpt, typed out word-for-word:

GW: Sometimes, when you meet the fans, do you feel that they're disappointed because you're even-keeled?

Cuomo: I never meet fans.

GW: You never meet them?

Cuomo: Never. I like talking to them over the Internet, but that's it.

GW: You guys don't do in-store record signings or after-show meet-and-greets?

Cuomo: Hell no! Fans are annoying. They all want something.

GW: Whether it be asking you to sign something or expecting you to act a certain way...

Cuomo: Yeah, or asking me to play a certain song. They're all little bitches, so I avoid them at all costs.

Am I missing something here? Where would a band like Weezer be without the fans? Where would any band be without their fans? Is it that much trouble to sign some autographs or play a fan-favorite song in concert? I was asked for an autograph one time in my life and it was one of the coolest things I have ever experienced in my short music "career!" I don't know much about Weezer or Rivers -- was he being funny? How would you feel if your favorite band indirectly called you a bitch?

2. If your fans were all screaming, hormonal 15-year-old girls, you might hate them too.

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Not if they were all screaming for me!

;)

4. rivers' reputation is that of a head case. he's just trying to keep it up.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO :D:D:D

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    A good friend of mine went to Harvard University. Rivers Cuomo was in one of his classes, and at the end of the semester my friend introduced himself and talked to him for a while over lunch. My friend said he was a really cool, friendly, down to earth guy.

7. well, i figure that his attitude is just a front. If so, then keep it up.....what ever works for him.

However, if those are his true feelings, then I think thats pretty self-centered and self-serving.

anyways, that my 3 cents

8. I read the same interview and found it halarious. Especially the part about his fans being upset that not everyone likes weezer. For some reason, it only makes me like him more. I can't wait for Maladroit.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    there is a brand of rock-stars who love ****in' around in interviews and directly lying to journalists.

i, too, find it funny. kurt cobain's interviews crack me up most of the time, as does maynard james keenan's. (*don't turn this thread into one about them, please*)

btw, i hope harvard didn't accept him just so they could use it to make them look cool.

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    He is supposed to be fairly introverted and as DHC stated, a head case. He is to the geek rock crowd what Bob Marley is to rasta.

11. wow, i never thought of that before. you're so right.

hail rivers!

12. I guarentee he was using his sick brand of humor. :D

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My guitarist said the same thing (the :eek: face) and I told him it had to be a sense of humor. On a fool would rag on his fans like that.

14. I wish I could screw around in interviews....for some reason Rolling Stone doesn't return my calls (what's wrong with them???)

But I agree with what PM said, if most of your fans were coming up to screaming and saying stuff like "You're the coolest! You're the greatest!" and that's all you heard, it could easily get pretty annoying, especially if you spent your life in outcast like Rivers. I would rather people come up to me and talk to me like I was a regular guy instead of treating my like a god. I guess some people thrive on the rock star idiom, not Rivers though.

P.S. I USED "IDIOM" COHERENTLY IN A SENTENCE!!!! ROCK ON ME!!!!

"I must go rescue the damsel in distress!!! It is my.....uh.......my...............*sigh*"

"........idiom? Sir?"

"IDIOM! Yes! That's it!"

:D

15. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Like I said, I don't know enough about the guy or his band to know if he was just effing around or if he was serious. Thank you for shedding some light on the subject! Maybe he's not the jerk I made him out to be after all.

16. How would you like it if at every show you played there were thousands of people screaming for you to play songs that it was too painful for you to play? Or every time you went to a message board devoted to your band, you saw nothing but fans complaining about how much your new record sucks and how you should write songs in the same way you did five years ago?

I think it goes both ways - Weezer fans have a love/hate relationship with the band, and the band have a love/hate relationship with the fans.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Maybe, but I'm sure he's being tongue-in-cheek. I'd be disappointed in him if he turned out to be a truly self-serving a-hole (like Axl Rose, f'r instance) but I give Rivers credit for trying to be creative even after hundreds of interviews, without giving the same old "safe" answers over and over again like most stars do.

Lemmy of Motorhead once said something like "oh, I could do all that Jaco crap if I felt like it." Clearly he was kidding, but some people worship Jaco so much and/or hate metal so much that they didn't get it. I thought it was hiliarious how horrified and offended some bassists got over that remark. :p

18. I think rivers is just trying to freshing things up. Ever since green, and the fact that pinkerton keeps coming back, people just remember rivers as the guy who looks just like buddy holly.

So now he doesn't look just like buddy holly. He looks like a homeless crazy person. Plus he's holding that VH kramer on the cover. Prolly just trying to give people something to wonder about.

And I dig it. Did anyone see Reverb on HBO, where they played as "Goat Punishment" just so only the "true" fans would know it was a weezer show. HA! Has anyone been to a Goat punishment show? I doubt that there is such a band, and it was just shown that way so people would be on the lookout for this band that doesn't exist.

I'd have so much fun being a rock star. I know it.

19. no, it's true, they played as Goat Punishment before the green album came out as a little secret tour. of course the cat's out of the bag now so they won't be doing it again, probably...

20. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Keep an eye out for the new "Weezer Bitch" t-shirts they'll be selling on the next tour....