1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RKS guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Ever see Conan where he does the sketch "what if they mated?" where he names 2 celebrities and then shows a picture of what their offspring might look like? Well imagine a Bongo and a Steinberger, I think it could look like this...

[​IMG]

Dig the clear plastic bodies

[​IMG]

or leather!!!

[​IMG]

I may feel different in the morning but right now I like it :)

http://www.rksguitars.com

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Not a peep?

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    kinda .. blah

4. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    If i would have wanted my bass to look like a marble, i would have done so already. Unless you are a star and have to change your looks of your instrument every set, i don't see the point.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would go for a leather one, but they need to work on the headstock design.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Too costly for me, but I dig the looks.

The interchangeable guitar bodies idea is crazy (in a good way). They should work with Daisy Rock and market the guitar-as-fashion -accessory angle.

Marshall

7. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I like the looks as well. Very contemporary. Especially for guitarists the looks are great. Their take on the flying V is the best I've ever seen.

edit:The concept is interesting too.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Cool, some opinions :)

I'm usually repulsed by these kind of things but found these oddly appealing. I like how the forearm cutaway symetrically sweeps across the whole butt and to the other side, this is more noticable on the basses.

9. the concept is cool, but i don't really like the rest of it...I'd consider it if:
    1. Cheaper
    2. better body design
    3. Wings fit more flush to the body

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Did you see they hide the controls in there? You have to be able to get your fingers in. Definitely unconventional.

11. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Saw the guitar version of this and is currently on the GAS list :meh:

Now consists of:
    Warwick Corvette
    Rks Abass 4

Personally i love the looks, im hoping the concept of changing the body works on the basses too! Why change the pickguard when you can change the body! Especially when you could have different woods! Could fancy bubinga one day and maple the next or perhaps a lil swamp ash?
    :D
    Brill concept well designed and priced accordingly unfortunately :crying:

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Saw a whole stage full of RKS's with Dave Mason's band. If not mistaken, Mason's an investor in the company. The guitars and the bass all sounded good, but who can tell with the availability of good PA sound processing? They do look cool in person - definitely one-off from most of the style innovations you run across. Too expensive to make them interesting to me personally, but kind of nice that somebody did something different in the appearance department without going strictly ugly... :)

13. girlonbass

girlonbass

Apr 3, 2009
    I'm curious about this brand. It seems they may have gone out of business in 2008.

Anybody know their history?