Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RL1018 Or a RL1000 with 2 RL410T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Many things have come to my mind now, about taking advantage of the Power Amp maximum output on the RL1018 system Im ordering.

I have considered the RL1810 Wich has only one 8x10" cabinet.
    This way i would have to say BI-Amp bye bye, but would take advantage of of the 1000 Watts completely,on the other side, portability is compromised and on small gigs it will be too much.
    Also, I dont know why but Carvin has not yet released the specs on that cab.

SO Im considering now 2 RL410T instead, wich will provide 3dB more in the highs over the RL1018 combination, wich I like..
    Full 1000watts advantage, retaining the posibility of using less power/cabs for some venues.

The problem is that I play a 6 String bass, and maybe soon a 7 String tuned to LOw F#.

Should I stay with the Idea of a 1x18" with 4x10" to have BI-Amp capabilities and a little added low end?
    Or 2 4x10" Cabs are going to be enough for the low end and I shouldnt even care about BI-Amping?

I will greatly apreciate all your comments.

Btw. Im sold to the Carvins because of the Quality of other products I have Sold/Used and because they give me a special endorsing program wich gives me a very cool price.

Thank.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    With adding that lower string, I imagine the 18 would really come into its own there. I like 10's, but there's no denying the high impact factor of an 18 for those low notes below the B string.

I play only 5's and 4's right now, maybe some of our seven stringer friends could offer some input.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It really depends on the sound you want. But IMO the 410/118 is a better choice for a six stringer if you want to really get down low. But the down side is, 18's are power hogs and are generally inefficient (most of them anyway). I use a similar set up but with 2 410 and 2 118. I use a Crown Powerbase3 for each of the 118's. But YMMV.

Mike

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yep. I do need that low freq. But how will be the punch of the rig affected?
    10" are Punchy, most 18" are not.
    Am I correct?
    I play many styles of music. But primarily my band plays Progressive Thrash.

Today I got to think that my best bet could be buying 2 4x10" and 1 1x18".

Maybe I could later sell 1 4x10".
    I will have to check how much is going to cost me to import that.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I dont know if 2 410 would serve you any better than 1. First you power requirements would far excede the output of your amp. I would suggest that you first try the 10/18 set up before buy the extra 10's. I use that configuration for practice and believe me, there is plenty of punch.

Mike

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    my inclination would be towards the 8x10. i believe you will be able to acheive more overall volume with the 8x10 vs. 4x10/1x18, and if that low fundamental isn't coming thru strong enuf, the carvin head has so much eq that surely you can boost the heck out of the lows. if you need less volume for a smaller venue, you can always turn the volume down. ;)

i guess you're not too concerned with cost since you get the endorser deal. do you have roadies to haul around 8x10 cabs? heck, you could get two 8x10's and run them stereo! haha! just use one for small gigs! :D

actually, the 2 4x10's + 1x18 sounds like a good idea to me. plenty of versitality...2 4x10's on one side of the amp, 1x18 on the other - you could run stereo or bi-amp...and you could also run the 2 4x10's together bridged - effectively the same as the 8x10. yeah, i'd go for that.

btw, isn't low F# a little extreme?! :eek: :D

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hehe, I dont have roadies.
    About the Cost, I am concerned, but I have saved some money by now, and besides getting a little endorsement with Carvin, Im also the Carvin Distributor for Ecuador. (Not too long ago)
    So I just pay the Export Net Price and to that price they make an extra discount for the endorsement.

I do think the best so far would be the 2 4x10" + 1x18" , Right now what bothers me is Import costs and shipping.
    I have to check how much its going to cost. (About $300 or $400 just in shipping to Ecuador)

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    IMO, Carvin's speakers have decent tone, but they are rather lame in the deep bass. I have their 2x10, and you can EQ the low bass up to your heart's content, and they STILL will not give you solid fundamentals. Carvin's response charts show their 4x10 down 20 db (!) at around 60 Hz. Actually, I don't really believe they could possibly be THAT bad! My guesstimate is more like -10 dB at 60 Hz. And I doubt their 8x10 will do much better.

If you really want better LF extension from a Carvin speaker, look at their PA subs. Their 2x18 is likely to give you much stronger performance in the fundamentals than any of their 10"-loaded systems. Even that cabinet (other than price) isn't spectacular compared to other large cabinets from other manufacturers (it's down 10 dB at 30 Hz.) Not bad for the money, though.

IMO, low F# (23 Hz.) is a futile endeavor unless you're willing to spend huge bucks and haul around tons of equipment. Besides, most people can hardly even hear the pitch (of the fundamental) - they would only feel it. If you want vibration, maybe you should get a free-standing V-8 engine with an unbalanced flywheel and set it on stage. That would knock bricks out of the foundation! ;)

- Mike