1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RMC Piezo Pickups (soundclip)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lokire, Dec 10, 2006.

1. For anyone who might be wondering what RMC piezo pickups can sound like in an electric bass, here's a soundclip of my new Stambaugh 6-string, using just the piezos solo'd. With TI Jazz Rounds for the BEADG strings. The C is still a steel Fodera, waiting on BassNW to get their order of TI strings in so I can pick up a full 6-string set of the Jazz Rounds...

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=911701&T=9901

Excuse the less-than-stellar playing. You have to play really clean or else these piezo's will just amplify every little buzz :p

2. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    That sounds great! It sounds almost like a classical guitar. I bet it sounds fantastic blended in the the magnetics.

And the playing is great too (especially for those of us who have played piezo's before).

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Great sound!

Did you in any way reduce the treble ?
    I ask because my Surine has seemingly more treble from its ABM (?) piezos. Check it out: sound clip 1 and two. BTW those piezos are run through an on-board Bartolini AGPB piezo buffer thing. What on-board electronics are your RMC piezos run through?

4. Nope. That was recorded direct with the tone all the way up. I was using some older nickel-wound strings though (TI Jazz Rounds) and they have a much softer tone than most steel strings.

I'm not sure exactly if it's going through a buffer at all(?). If it's going through anything, it would be RMC. I know there's the RMC polydrive electronics in there, but I don't know if that's just dealing with the midi, or it they have their own piezo buffer in there too.

Your piezos sound great! I love that Surine. I saw it for sale from someone here a while ago and then at LAG for a while. Didn't know you had picked it up :). That one's fully hollow, right? You need to take a picture of the Surine and your Benavente together ;)

5. On second though...maybe I did have the tone down a bit. I don't remember now :confused:

I'll do another piezo clip sometime soon anyways :)

6. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I like to blend my piezos to get a litte more mid-range and punch to my mag pickups.
    It cuts thru a little better. and warmer sound.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    I expect that the PolyDrive has a buffered mono piezo audio output, that feeds the rest of your control-inferno. :)

Thanks, I like the Surine too. I like most piezo bass sound clips I've heard, but most of all I like the Rob Allen fretless MB-2 sound. Piezos give such a nice, acoustic or organic or whatever I shall call it, quality to the sound.

8. elros, is there any EQ on your samples? The sound seems too good to be truth :). Is your Sunrine so great? I'd be happy to get just a half the tone out of my Warwick after installing piezo pickups...

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    No, there's no EQ that I'm aware of. The signal on the recording goes through an on-board Bartolini piezo buffer, and then through a Bartolini three-band EQ set flat.

I have since removed the EQ from the bass, temporarily.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow. That sounds really good.
    I wish I could afford to get that in a bass.

Ok, nobody laugh, but - what do you think would happen with a single strip piezo simply shoved underneath an electric bass bridge plate?

11. Don't waste your time, if I understood you right. Just save up for a piezo bridge - that should be pretty easy to find one that would fit a Fender bass.

I have a different setup - 8 big thick piezo crystals cut into body under the bridgeplate with saddle bolts resting on a thin steel plate lying on the crystals, There are cuts in the bridgeplate. The thin steel plate is there just to protect the crystals from any possible damage. Sounds as good as my crappy Hohner can do.
    The idea is to transfer string vibrations directly to the pickup. The fixed bridgeplate would really screw the whole thing up.
    [​IMG]

12. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Pickup the World has an arrangement like that. http://web.inetba.com/pickuptheworld/pickups.htm

I talked to them a few years ago about using one of their pickups for my Modulus, but with an ABM bridge, it didn't really seem that practical.

Edwin

13. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Lokire,

What can you tell us about the RMC's?

Part of an RMC bridge, or added to another manufacturers bridge? Model?

14. The bridge itself is a Hipshot. It's the saddles that came from RMC. They don't make a direct retrofit for the hipshot bridges, so we used their ABM saddles. They're made for the ABM bridges which are a little bit smaller than the Hipshot. So Chris 'shimmed' (I think that was the word) the saddles a little bit to make them fit snugly.

15. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    i wish I didn't hear so much string/fret/metal on metal noise with your piezo

16. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    What you hear acoustically from your bass is a good indication of how the piezo pickups may sound. Most of us are used to magnetic pickups, and think we can get away with somewhat sloppy technique - it's good enough for magnetics.

For great technique and great piezo sound, listen to Steve Swallow.

Or turn down the treble.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I really liked the sound of those solo'd RMC's, very organic and not the typical clacky thin piezo sound that I have heard in other basses. Sort of reminded me of a P Bass, which really suprised me. Very nice playing as well on all of those clips.