RMS and Peak Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zacl, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Hey Everyone,

Sorry about the thread, but I didn't find the answers I was looking for when I did my search.

Here's my deal :

I'm going to split my signal, and amplify each pick up, a la Billy Sheehan.

But as of this moment, I've got a Samson S700 power amp. At 8 ohms it puts out 230 watts/channel.

My Cabinet is an Ampeg 410HE (8ohm) It is rated for 500 watts RMS.

So I don't have to worry about blowing speakers right now, BUT :

I eventually will run each channel separtely, and need two speakers.

As I am broke, and want to perserve my back as long as possible, I want to get a 210, and a 15, but Ampeg's Classic series cabs are only rated for 200 wattts RMS.

Any recomendations of what I should do to get the most power out of my amp and not blow anything up in the process?

A different brand maybe....with more watts RMS???

Thanks everyone.
  2. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about running 230 watts in to a 200 watt rms cab. You should be able to put twice that into them. How hard will you be pushing the power amp it the question I see if you'd blow them or not. If they are efficient enough and your power amp isn't working hard I don't see any problem putting 230 watts through a 200 watt rms cab. I may not be the most qualified but I have a basic understand if not a bit more. Someone else will chime in and give you some info. I'm sure Bgavin or Petebass or many of the other speaker experts will chime in.

Hope I helped,
  3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You won't hurt anything with 230 watts, or 350, for that matter.

Speakers normally take amps at least double the nominal power rating. You couldn't play hard enough to average even half power, unless you are not human, or you run keyboards thru your amp also.

I would not recommend bridging an SVT-4PRO into one of the 210 cabs. But even that has been done without damage. It has probably been done WITH damage too........
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes you want 2x the rms going into your speakers to power them correctly. If you have a 400watt cab then you would want to put 650-900 watts to them in order to get enough head room. But all that your talking about seems like a little overkill to me, but that's just my .02.
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I don't know if I'd call a 210 115 set up with 430 watts overkill? Barely has more surface area then the 410 set up he is running now and many 410 cabs rms at more then 500 watts.