Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RMS? Program?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Apr 1, 2003.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm looking to add a 2x10 cab to my setup which is an Ampeg B-2 combo. I know the amp can handle 350Watts at 4 ohms, so I will need to get a 8 ohm cab. My question is, what is the deal with RMS power output and Program power. Will I be able to run a Ampeg SVT210H that has 200 watts RMS and 500 watts program? What do the diffrent types of power mean?

Thanks alot.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The Ampeg SVT-210 HE is the right cab for your application. Whatever you get must be a 8ohm cab, which the 210 is.
    RMS is continuous power your cab can handle, and Program is the amount of peak power it will handle. RMS is what you go by.

3. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    For the Techies:

RMS is an acronym for Root Mean Square. The RMS value of an alternating current produces the same heating effect in a circuit as the same value of a direct current.

In other words, the amount of continuous power your speakers can safely handle. The peak power rating is the amount of power your speakers can handle without damage for a very (and we mean very) short time.

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Well if RMS is the continuous power the cab can handle I wouldnt wat to go over that by 150 Watts right? My amp will be putting out 350 watts since I will have it at 4ohms with the attached 15 inch speaker at 8ohms and the 2x10 at 8ohms. If im understanding corectly this would not work becaseu it would be running at 150 watts over the RMS of 200.

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Well, actually it will work for two reasons.

First, 350 watts divided by 2 cabs = 175 watts going to each cab.

Second, most players like to run an amp with up to twice the power their cabs can handle. This extra power is called "headroom". You can't crank the amp wide open, but then you shouldn't have to! Just be careful not to "clip" the speakers. This will not apply in your case, but.......

I have a B2R (rackmount version of your amp) & a BSE-410H cab. I ran it for a while with a 115 cab (borrowed cab) also hooked up and it sounds much better this way. You'll LOVE your new sound!!

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Ahh I see. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.