Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rmx 1450 vs. microtech 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jedi, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I'm trying to decide whick of the two to purchase. They roughly give the same wattage, weigh the same, and take up 2 spaces. I've read a fair amount of both on the boards, but havn't ran across anything pitting the two against one another. Currently I'm playing through a 2X12 avatar 8ohm and might add another 212 or 2X10 avatar in the future. I suppose transparency is ideal but I'm not sure how one stacks against the other. Your info/insite/comments are grealy appreciated.
    thanks
    -Kyle

2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I've been hoarding the following blasphemous information for some months now because QSC is such a popular amp line and because I don't want to rile up Bob Lee, who has been very helpful and responsive to many of us on this site.

I've used a PLX 2402 for some time now, pushing two low B210's, two Wayne Jones 210's, and most recently two Schroeder 1210's. I bought the QSC to cut the weight in my rack - previously using a Crown Power Tech 3. The 2402 and the PT3 are roughly equivalent also (power-wise) except that the Crown won't bridge into 4 ohms. When I got the Schroeders, I did the old A/B thing with all my stuff to decide which cabs to sell (the Acmes are for sale, the Schroeders are incredible, but that's another story). The unexpected surprise was that the Crown flat out buries the PLX for punch and lows, to my ears (and guts) at least. I'm back to the heavy Crown in my gig rack.

So, that said, I'd try the MT1200 and the RMX1450 side by side and make up your own mind. You may find that you choose the MT. I haven't tried the RMX series, which has a conventional power trans, and (here goes the blasphemous part) maybe the hype about switching power supples having come so far is a bit stretched. The PLX is a great amp, I'm keeping it for a back-up, but this story reflects my own subjective and personal experience and opinion.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, but they are not in the same price league :p

4. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    actually i ran across a couple MT1200 for around 300 hundred and that is also about how much the 1450 goes for on the bay. Thanks for both comments and info, I wish I could try them both out, but that is not possible for me, so that's why I'm looking for info here.
    Thanks
    Kyle

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you found it so cheap (is it still working? Are there any problems with it that they sell it so cheap?), and if you can handle the extra weight, then check out the Crowns.
    But the QSCs are good, too.
    The difference wont be that much... (i think).

6. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    yeah, they seem to be working. but there is a 1450 that is about to end on ebay here in the next few hours. hopefully i can get it for under three.
    -Kyle

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    How precisely did you match the gains of the amps?

8. To be fair , I think the reason you haven't seen comparisons to the two amps is that they are really in different leagues. The QSC RMX series is a "B" line of amps , like the "CE " series now offered by Crown. The MT series would be more fairly compared to QSC's PLX series. Having said that , the MT series would definitely be my choice over the RMX ....

9. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Fire away with suggestions! I'd love to reverse my opinion and get the PLX back in my rack. As is, I have to ask the guitar player, or even worse, one of the horn players to help me pick it up. :D