Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Dec 17, 2004.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    I have noticed in posts about QSC power amps that the bias is towards the PLX series. What is the main reason for this?
    Sorry if that's an outdated question.

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they are lighter? i know that's why i would trade my RMX for a PLX...

my rmx is around 42lbs - a plx that puts out about the same is around 20lbs (i think)

you may want to do a search, this has been talked about before and you will find info much more quickly.
  3. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The PLX also has more complex circuitry which is intended to reduce distortion and improve protection against short circuits and overloads.

I do not speak for QSC, of course; but Bob Lee does! These are my own conclusions from looking at the schematics of the PLX and RMX amps.

NJL is right about the respective weights of the two amps. My PLX 2402 weighs less than half of what my RMX 1850HD does, and it's more powerful.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't forget the price! plx is more expensive, but you get more when you pay more

i still love my rmx, but it's heavy
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah I traded from RMX to PLX for two reasons. It is half the weight, and with my rack, that was a huge loss in weight. I can now put it on top of my stack without help ;)

Also we needed a pa for vocals after after losing a practice spot, the amp was what did not come with us. I upgrade, we get a pa, we all win :) oH, yeah, and I gained a few watts per channel.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love the weight/performance factor of the PLX series! I've owned a lot of boat anchors in my time....these are a godsend :)
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep, the weight is the thing. Not such a big deal in my bass rack, but it makes a definate difference in the PA power amp rack, where we have 3 power amps for highs, lows, and monitors.

8. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I think there is a depth difference as well. The RMX being the deeper of the two. With the PLX there is room to store cords at the back of the rack case... but the weight difference is a big plus. I don't miss my old RMX!