Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RNC Users Get Noise with <6.0 Attack Setting?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Jan 22, 2003.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey folks, I have 2 RNC compressors and have discovered both have very audible noise/distorsion if I set the attack below 6.0. There is a very defined point (attack <6.0) where it has noise on both compressors. The settings are
    -threshold = -5
    -ratio = 2:1
    -attack = 6.0 or less
    -release = 0.3
    -gain = 0
    The chain is bass/Demeter/RNC/amp with a Rane EQ in the Demeters effects loop.
    Admittedly I have limited use with compressor settings, I always used a DBX 163x that is an on-off deal.

2. Nope, never noticed it.

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Does it sound like something in the chain? Grounding or something, because it repeats itself with both comps.

4. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    OK then, end of thread. I understand from a friend that its called "breathing" and is common with compressors. Its a user error on my part, doesn't happen in super nice mode, and won't happen if I use a better setting for bass. Thats all folks!