Road case for Vintage Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldSchool50, Jul 24, 2018.

1. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'm looking for any recommendations for a medium protection Road case for my vintage Ampeg V4b. It's one of the widest heads around, nearly three inches wider than the reissue. Head Dimensions are roughly 27 3/4" (W) x 12 1/4" (D) x 11" (H). The only one I found would be custom made by RoadCases USA (which goes under a variety of names on Ebay). DOes anyone have a manufacturer recommendation for that head. Even better if you have a used one to sell, hit me up. Post here or PM. Thanks

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Every city has a road case manufacturer. Google your town.
    You may find a deal at your local backline rental co. they clear stuff all the time.

OldSchool50 likes this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Seconding what Paula said above, you can probably find someone local or someone selling a used cases nearby, but if you're going to order online I've used a number of different makers, just know what you're getting for your money when you order.

I have a case for my SVT from safe case which I bought through their ebay store. They have a vintage V4 case listed, it's about twice as expensive as the roadcases usa carpet lined 1/4" ply cases, but the safe case one is 3/8" ply, better hardware, and foam lined. My first V4 had a calzone case, similarly expensive but good quality.

I have a roadcases usa case for my pedal board and one that fits my V4 as well as some other amps. I may have even ordered it for my V4, but I currently use it with a different amp. I added a bunch of additional foam to the top and sides of the lid as well as casters to the bottom (same for my SVT case). The added foam helps keep everything nice and secure but it's definitely a bit cheaper/thinner than the safe case style and the hardware (latches) are smaller and less substantial than the more expensive one. The roadcases usa case for my pedalboard is super thin and light duty, but I added a bunch of foam (again) under the board and into the base of the lid so everything is securely packed.

OldSchool50 likes this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

How far are you from NYC? There should be plenty used there to choose from via CL, or contact SIR or Rock-It Cargo to see what they have lying around and would cut loose of.

5. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Many thanks to Paulabass, Coreyfyfe and Michedelic for excellent suggestions and especially for the reviews of several case options and quality. Very helpful and will put me on a good course to find a suitable case.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021