Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

road case/head case stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Sep 7, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey everyone.. i have a question on where i should mount my rack stuff into my 8 space shockmount flight case.

i have the following to put into the rack

-crest ca9

- eden navigator

-korg rack tuner

- furman power conditioner

now, in what order should these be placed intothe case? should i leave room for the power amp tp breathe?

should i put in a 2 apace drawer? or single space 1u fillers above and below the amp for circulation?

also, should i put fillers on the back of the rack aswell? to keep things in place and away from peoples wandering hands ?

let me know what u think

erik

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I always say put the power at the bottom, there's more space under it to breath that way, put the power conditioner at the top. The tuner probably under that, and the pre on top of the power amp. You can leave a space above the power amp if you have the room, but it's not always needed, it depends on the amp and how much heat it generates.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can't speak for the crest, but the Navigator has preamp tube vent holes on the top of its casing. I wouldn't put anything directly on top that would block those holes. See if your tuner is shallow and wouldn't block them, or if they wouldn't be blocked if the Nav was mounted with its top against the inside of your case. My Nav has space above in my SKB case, because the molding has high points and low points.

4. think in terms of accessibility as well. Like, if your rack is on top of 2x quad boxes, and your preamp is at the top of the rack, you're gonna need a small ladder to tweak the EQ!

Only worry about top/bottom ventilation if the device itself has ventilation slots on the top/bottom. My trace elliot head has ventilation front and back, so I would happily squeeze it in any 2RU space without concern.

Generally, heavy stuff goes best on the bottom.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 all the way around. As for the Navigator, that tube doesn't generate a lot of heat IME, and I have had no problem with my Navigator living in a rack without a space above it (though I should add that I did leave a space both above and below it for years based upon a fear of it overheating - a practice which I now believe was overly cautious).

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    awesome thanks, so i'm probably going to put the power amp on the bottom, get a 2 space drawer foron top of that, then my nav, then my tuner and PC

thanks

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The only comment that I would add is to try and check out both 6-space and 8-space racks before you commit to the 2-space drawer. I used an 8-space for years, but I find that a 4-6 space rack is more ergonomically pleasing and more schleppable.

Food for thought.

Tom.

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Most definitely - 8 is where it starts to get seriously cumbersome.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well

i already have an 8

so she goes lol

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Totally. I built a 7-space rack, and I find that size to be near ideal. I was kind of surprized how much the PITA factor increased when I went from 7 to 8.

Of course, if you already have the 8, then fill 'er up! :p

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm not even gonna stack my 8 space on top ofmy cabs, thats just stupid big

i'll just put it on the ground next to em... on wheels or something

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Also be aware that if your power conditioner has lights, the Korg tuner will block the lights (the front slants out). So as unorthodox as it may be, you might consider putting the tuner on top and the PC underneath it...

Also, depending on how heavy your power amp is, you might consider some way to support the back as well (assuming it's not sitting directly on the bottom of the rack).